Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I note with interest that speedparts is doing coilovers for the 9000
What is the advantage of coilovers over conventional struts ?
(Apart from they look really trick .... )
I mean it is still just springs and dampers...
or have I missed something ?

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Do they have adjustable spring platforms? This is the usual benefit fo coilovers - easier to alter ride height, weight distribution etc. Very handy for setting up a car to an individual circuit.

BUT - it's another variable to get right in your set-up, or to screw it all up!

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
On some of the cheaper ones the threads can corrode, which is not good.

However, if there's an option to easily adjust both the front/rear ride height on a 9K then that must be a good thing.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
The other advantage is that you can replace the springs with any rating as they are a standard size - usually !

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Fliptop:
[qb]Do they have adjustable spring platforms?  This is the usual benefit fo coilovers - easier to alter ride height, weight distribution etc.  Very handy for setting up a car to an individual circuit.

BUT - it's another variable to get right in your set-up, or to screw it all up! [/qb][/b]
From the Speedparts website, although not easy to deduce from the photo, it would appear they do have adj. spring platforms, well the H&R ones anyway, as in the photo.

Don't forget you'll need the 2 x tools to adjust these as well.

As Jason said the adjuster pans/threads are prone to seizing up if not regularily maintained and cleaned. Don't forget these were designed for circuit applications rather than road applications, so yes, extra maintainance for sure.

Very nice though....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts