Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
ignore it ..
they were fitted in the '94 model year as a dealer fit I believe..so they will be well dodgy by now
A cobra remote will cost you £40 but you do not know if the rest works
also there should be an alarm key to able/ disable it..if this is not there definitely forget it

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
 they were fitted in the '94 model year as a dealer fit I believe..so they will be well dodgy by now  [/b]
I have a Cobra alarm under the bonnet of my '94 GM900S - is this likly to be a dealer fit also? I have the key for it but have never used it as I have no instructions - does it give you time to set and then shut the bonnet or should it work off the door key when locking the car?

Mike

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a Cobra alarm on my N Reg CDE Auto and I assumed it was not a factory fit because the system described in my handbook is completely different.

Everything seems to work OK (I haven't actually attempted a break in yet) but I notice that I don't have the option to lock doors using only the key. Does anyone know if that was ever an option, whether with the Saab factory system or third party security systems such as Cobra?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Perhaps I should have mentioned that my Cobra system works via a fob but I don't have an Instruction manual either.

The Waco system on my last car allowed key locking independently of the alarm system and it also retained its manufacturers remote locking capability as well (although they both stopped working eventually).

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Yes, that is possible with the dealer-fit Cobra alarm on my manual CSE, the Cobra alarm I fitted myself to my auto CSE and the factory "VSS" security system integrated in my Aero. It is possible with all cars I've ever owned with an alarm (including two previous 9000s).

How does the system prevent you from locking doors with the key?

·
Registered
231 Posts
BillJ,

The key does not seem to move in either direction in the driver's door lock. I have only tried this with the alarm switched off of course, otherwise the doors would already be locked.

I have only had this car for a week so there may be some subtle touch I haven't tried yet, like pushing inwards when turning.

I will keep experimenting and report progress, or the lack thereof. Thanks for responding, this is almost like the learning curve for a computer newbie!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I have an after market Cat 1 Cobra on my Aero (paid for by me )

I had the optional door locking fitted, but not the window closure.

I can still use the keys to lock and unlock the car.

Mine is the 2 button variant (yellow and blue/green).

One for arm/disarm, one for panic alarm and ultrasonic disable.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
My CSE auto did this. Liberal application of WD40 to the lock was the cure. There is no electrical mechanism built into the lock that can prevent you from turning it with the correct key.

Now, if someone has changed the ignition lock and the key you have fits that but not the doors...

Can you open the boot with the key? What about the passenger door? If you can, chances are you need the WD40.

There is no subtlety, other than that the key needs to be all the way in the lock (just like any other car door lock).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.