Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
That ad' is very misleading. I'm not that certain w/Viggens or 9-5's, but on 9000's the weak link for torque values above 400-425 Nm of torque is the pressure plate - not the clutch. A stock Aero clutch is more than sufficient for 500 Nm, provided it's used with a capable pressure plate. Unfortunately, there's not many choices for a 'capable' pressure plate. Sach's monopoly position is reflected by their price - it more than doubled in price, a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The way I read it is that they are selling the design on the fact that a paddle friction plate with the std. pressure plate will grip better than a non-paddle friction plate.
I sort of see where they are coming from but the difference might be too marginal to be of real benefit.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a thought, but does the AP Paddle clutch actually use a stronger pressure plate?
If so, then I could use the AP pressure plate with a standard friction plate.
If AP use standard pressure plate forces then it supports the sales pitch in the paddle clutch I have linked to.

hmmm

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
You retain the standard pressure plate when you fit the AP paddle. It's only 4 paddles compared to the Swedish Dynamics 6.

I've never had even the slightest hint of slippage on the AP with just short of 500NM.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I too have never had any slippage with the AP clutch, while a standard clutch was slipping after only 30k miles. My car was putting out 450Nm of torque.

Mind you, I couldn't even slip it when I wanted to, which made driving in snow almost impossible

It was probably that exercise that caused the AP friction plate to chew through the flywheel and pressure plate. I finally ditched it in favour of the Sachs pressure plate and a standard friction plate. Expensive but much easier to drive, although crawling in traffic gets a bit hard on the leg muscles due to the increased pedal pressure.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's great info - cheers.

SO - there is a potential that this Swedish Dynamics paddle friction plate + standard Pressure Plate will sit somewhere between AP setup and fully standard in both agression and grip?
(based on the fact it has 6 paddles,not 4)
If so, it could be a great potential alternative for me.

One other confusion I have is, if the AP clutch uses the standard PP, how can the action be heavier? (or is that mis-information also)

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by faero:
[qb]if the AP clutch uses the standard PP, how can the action be heavier?[/qb][/b]
It's not. The action is as light as the standard clutch but with a rather more sudden "bite". It is the Sachs Racing pressure plate that produces a heavy action.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. - Given that I want to keep the clutch as 'light' as standard (i.e. not very!) and the Sachs pressure plate is also rather expensive I may actually end up with the AP clutch
1) Its available in the UK
2) Lots of people have used it - it has downsides but fits and works.
3) Sounds like it will last a good 50k+ miles.

tbh - The Swedish dynamics one is a bit of an unknown and given the effort of fitting one...I'd rather not gamble.

Also - been quoted 6 hrs labout to fit clutch and slave cylinder. Sound normal?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by faero:
[qb]Sounds like it will last a good 50k+ miles.

Also - been quoted 6 hrs labout to fit clutch and slave cylinder.  Sound normal? [/qb][/b]
Labour is about right. Don't foregt that wehn you repalce the AP paddle, you'll also need ot repalce the pressure plate and probably have the flywheel skimmed. It's brutal.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I assume having the flywheel skimmed might be an extra £50 or so onto the next clutch change?

Also realised the AP paddle doesnt come with a pressure plate and I can only seem to get either an original Saab PP (£120) or a full Sachs PP and FP (£150). So overall not as cheap as I thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts