Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a feeling that I might need to replace the clutch on my 9000i 2lt, as it seems to be using a lot of revs. anybody know what the rough speed/rev ratio (level ground) is. it seems ok at the lower end just at the top

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks andrew, maybe I am wrong as I am running 3500 at 80 mph. the speed/revs/gear change ratio just seems wrong. in other words going from 1st to 2nd seems low speed/high revs forcing me to change up. i get about 50 mph in 3rd with 3000 rpm and have to change up as she seems to be revving to high for the speed

·
Registered
753 Posts
If the clutch were continually slipping, would a small of burning friction material not be pervasive?

Best test to see if it is slipping is to floor it in 5th and see if the revs rise without an increase in speed which would indicate clutch slippage.

50 in 3rd at 3000 rpm sounds fine to me

·
Registered
113 Posts
I forget the figures for the rest of the gears but my 9000, (93K 2 litre no turbo) runs about 3000 rpm for 70 mph and about 3500 for about 80 mph. And looking at Scaero's numbers that is about right. Yay mathematics!

In general terms 1st and 2nd gears do seem quite curious, in that first seems very low, and second quite high. For example I've got to be noticably rolling before I can use 2nd. I can only presume that the engineer who figured out the gears liked towing heavy trailers up steep hills from a standing start.

Equally it will do 65 to 70 in third, which isn't a long way off that solid red bit....

Cheers
John

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]btw with std gearing the aero will do 100 in third  
     :eek:      :eek:  [/qb][/b]
Actually I find I don't need 3rd as my CS 2.3T (which has the same gearing as an Aero) reaches the national speed limit in 2nd

·
Registered
240 Posts
Most of our gearboxes have been bu99ered about with at some point, therefore it is very difficult to predict the speed you will get. If you would like to give me the gearbox number i will tell you what final drive ratio SHOULD be in the box. I stress SHOULD because when i changed my box for my rebuilt box with LSD, i discovered my old one had 3 different oil fillers..... hmmm it seems my old box is the product of three !!!
a tyre size would also help.....

·
Registered
623 Posts
I don't see how tyre size can affect the gear ratios, as long as the speed measurements are taken by the car speedo.

And, for the clutch problem, I also think that it's very obvious to notice it. There's no need to look at the gauges, just have to floor it and see if revs raise and speed don't. If clutch slipped continuosly, the burnt smell would even make difficult to drive the car!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Also, from expirience, you are more likely to notice clutch slip in the higher gears before it becomes terminal, so if you high gears are reading ok speedwise, you have no rapid rev rises with out extra speed, and no burning smells in the car (that aren't normal), then your clutch is probably OK.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Oh and think yourself lucky you don't have a old C900 3sp Auto, top was about 55mph @ 3000 rpm.

Noisy and thursty even though it was an LPT.

Got rid of that for a ng900SET auto (still have) and a 9-3 SET Auto (also still have).

·
Registered
623 Posts
 Speedo runs off gearbox...... bigger tyres , more speed, speedo none the wiser[/b]
I'm not sure of what you wrote, since I'm not too able in english, but it sounds like what I saied before. You can't tell by your speedo the differences between different tyre sizes! The ratio tacho/speedo is locked by clutch and gears, it doesn't involve the tyres.

110 mph in 3rd? it's like 176 kmh!!! it's like my 4th!!! I can do 140 kmh in 3rd, like 85 mph... and I have a Turbo!
how much can an Aero reach in 4th? more than in 5th?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Yes, I think you understood Saabz2000's comment correctly.

Originally posted by Stefano:
[qb]110 mph in 3rd? it's like 176 kmh!!![/qb][/b]
Yes, the Aero and '93-on 2.3T have a 3.61:1 final drive ratio. Your car and other turbos before '93 have a lower 4.05:1 final drive ratio.

I was able to reach 110mph in 3rd gear at 6000rpm. I don't know what the maximum speed was in 4th gear. Now I have the 4.05:1 final drive, I can do about 100mph in 3rd gear. The wheels on the Aero are bigger than yours so my car will still be slightly higher-geared.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hey gelcoat are you ok? How it's going with your cluth? Is it really slipping or not? please tell us it doesn't!

You see, I just fixed my head gasket and now I need more Saab problems to solve... am I nuts?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Stafano, The clutch seems OK. will probally change next month for the shear hell of it, also I will have some long trips in Eastern Europe in the summer. No you are not mad, once you get a Saab you realise that you have a well built luxury car, and once running properly you have power and luxury. I was told yesterday by a Saab agent, that in the USA they are taking aero's up to 550 BHP. so you can imagine how well the engine is built originally to be upgraded that much. keep at it, keep in touch and best of luck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts