Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the clutch slave cylinder on my MY92 9000. I purchased a replacment from GSF.
It arrived without any bellows around the outside as the original has. I tried to fit the old bellows but was prevented by a plastic shroud held on by a large circlip. I removed the shroud and found the metal work underneath was similar to the old cylinder. So I fitted the bellows then tried to fit the thrust bearing. I can't get the bearing to hold the bellows compressed like the old one did.
Does the new cylinder with plastic shroud not require the bellows?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Do not know about the plastic bit but I do remember how annoyed I got trying to keep the bearing on the slave without it dropping off. It is a few years now so I can not remember what I did but it could have involved string or wire to hold it in place - may be somebody has a few tips.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Rod,
It sounds like you may have the wrong one .
The early version had the cap (86-92ish),the later one had the bellows (92ish-94),these seem to change on a gearbox number (D41692),rather than a year break.There was a later one from an "R" chassis number,these had a bellows too.
Probably not what you wanted to hear tho' i would imagine. sorry
G.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Rod,
It sounds like you may have the wrong one .
The early version had the cap (86-92ish),the later one had the bellows (92ish-94),these seem to change on a gearbox number (D41692),rather than a year break.There was a later one from an "R" chassis number,these had a bellows too.
Probably not what you wanted to hear tho' i would imagine. sorry
G.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I first ordered the slave cylinder from GSF I quoted the gearbox number and received a completely wrong unit (No oil seal, mounting holes on wrong centers, it did have bellows though!). So after a few phone calls between GSF shops I settled on the one prior to the gearbox number D41692. At least this one bolts in place.
I've now assembled it without the bellows but with the plastic shroud. I'm concerned about leaving out the substantial spring that is in the bellows. I can't figure out if this is supposed to push the thrust washer against the release leaves to stop it rattling.
Maybe I should start again and try Paul's suggestion.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sounds like the first one you got was a >94 900 one
If the g/box isnt back in,i would be tempted to get them to send the correct one out to you and not bother fitting the one you have.
Its a long job to do,and if theres any problems after its all back together and the wrong ones in,how would that effect any future warranty
G.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.