Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, i installed a new clutch kit (genuine) about 10-15,000 kms ago. just yesterday, accelerating gently from 80kph to 100kph in 5th gear, just before rounding a corner, it felt like i ran over a person, the car went crunch, the whole vehicle shook, and then proceded to coast. the idle went rough (unless revved to 2500 rpm+) and metal filing all around the openings of the bell housing. The fingers on the pressure plate are visible but no thrust bearing is visible, and there is no feeling to the clutch pedal anymore...
Me thinks a collapsed pressure plate... what do you think???

PS. start pulling it apart tomorrow

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Sorry, I'm not sure but it really does sound like the clutch has failed.

Just hope that none of those failed bits of metah have contacted the soft aluminium gearbox casting bits

I wouldn't run the car/engine until I knew that there were no part waiting to be fired around by the flywheel.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah.. the car is in the shed now, and ready to be pulled apart again... i hope its only the pressure plate.. i will also be testing the filings in the morning to see if they are magnetic or not.. magnetic means clutch or flywheel, non-ferrous means gearbox case.
also hope that the dealer will exchange collapsed plate for new, because the clutch is only just worn in.

im not pleased about this incident, this close to christmas, and seeing as im going on a holiday starting boxing day... i want this fixed! (i get to drive my parents old range rover until the 9000 is fixed )

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK.. pulled the clutch out... found that the drive plate lost all but one of the double springs... as in the rest came out of the hub, destroyed the lining on the pressure plate side and then proceded to destroy the pressure plate.... compared the "new" plate to the old one that wore out, and found that the newer design is weaker, allowing the plate holding the springs in to crack, where the older plate has a stronger construction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.