Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, if someone could help with out with this I'd really appreciate it.

The first time I let the clutch out (94 9000CSE 2.0) in the morning (or evening, basically whenever it hasn't been driven for a while) it grabs and I loose pressure on the pedal. It only appears to do it once and then its okay. Anybody know what could be causing this?

You'll have to excuse this question but: is it a hydraulic clutch?

Don't know if this would have any effect on the above but a few weeks ago I had the "rubber block" replaced that guides the gear stick into place (you know, the problem where you can't get it into gear properly).

Cheers in advance,

Pete

·
Registered
393 Posts
The only part of your query I can answer is that yes, you have a hydraulic clutch.

Anyway, just about an hour ago I suffered my own clutch problem.

I went to start the car, put my foot on the clutch and felt resistance as normal, and then it went straight to the floor, and showed little desire to come back up again. There's fluid dripping out underneath so I know there's a prtoblem with the hydraulics somewhere.

Is it likely to be either the master or slave cylinder, or could it be something simpler like a hose come off somewhere. There has been no advance warning that anything was going to happen, it just went.

cheers,

Ben.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Yes, it could be a hose. It is known that on some years the rubber hose going from the master to the slave cylinder is weak and it can separate from the union at the end. I'm told it isn't a cheap part to buy, but that one can be made up quite cheaply by re-using the unions.

See where the fluid is coming from. If it's out of the bell-housing, you've got a dead slave cylinder (expensive to replace). If not, it's probably the hose. I believe the master cylinder usually fails without making a mess.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
And KiwiPete, your problem sounds like the master cylinder is on the way out. If so, it will do this more frequently until eventually you can't disengage the clutch. I've never changed one myself, but I'm told it isn't too hard a job.

Looking at eurocarparts (I was looking there anyway), a new master cylinder is £56.95 + VAT.

Ben, I notice they also sell the hose (I think it's the right one) at £14.18 + VAT. Not as bad as I thought.

These prices are for a '96 CSE 2.0LPT, but I believe they're all the same or similar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks BillJ. I checked under the bonnet at lunch (saw straight away that it was hydraulic!) and followed the hoses from the clutch back to somewhere by the firewall(?) Is there any easy way to get to the master cylinder, I couldn't see it? (I guess I should by a manual yeah?!!!)

Pete

·
Registered
97 Posts
KiwiPete

The Master cylinder is where you have described. My experience - if you have to replace the master cylinder, get someone to do it for you. From the Haynes manual the job is technically very easy, a couple of clips and bolts and the hoses, with great pictures, but what they neglect to tell you about is that in your car there will be a 2-litre engine in the way, which is missing in the pictures. I spent the best part of a day contorting myself to change the thing and ended up covered in cuts and bruises.

If the master cylinder is on the way out the slave may not be far behind. If you replace the master be very careful when the clutch is bled afterwards. I think the sudden pressure surge through a new master blew what was left of my old slave cylinder. The slave replacement is a big job - about £600 through a saab dealer. My usual garage wouldn't touch it. At the same time they recommend a clutch replacement as when the slave goes the clutch is probably contaminated with clutch fluid and will start slipping before too long. To replace the slave cylinder the labour involves removing the gearbox etc and then once inside there is no extra labour to replace the clutch just the part cost.

I hope you are not at that stage

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Gordon, I had a quick look at it last night and yes I did notice that the engine is not particularly well place to allow access to the master cylinder!!! Funny thing is, it was okay this morning! No grabbing, no embarrasing "I've only just passed my test" hopping of any kind. I know its probably foolish to think that it has completely gone away but we can but hope!

I did happen to kind a very good guide to bleeding the clutch via a link on BillJ's web site which involved bicycle tubes and pumps etc. I may bleed it over the weekend just to be sure.

Thanks again,
Pete

·
Registered
471 Posts
I agree with Gordon when we had our 9000 the master cylinder went. When repaired a week later the slave cylinder died as well. It cost about £220 for both parts and the labour costs were done on the cheap because Saabman had worked at the garage previously. At the time you could only buy genuine saab parts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, its started happening again and I've noticed that the last couple of inches of lever travel has very little pressure on it, so I guess its gotta be looked at!

I notice that it is possible to purchase a master cylinder rebuild kit; is this a waste of time (and £)? The only reason I mention this is that I'm absolutely skint at the moment and the prospect of replacing the master cylinder and the slave cylinder (which, as Gordon says, requires removal of the gearbox) does not appeal
!

Thanks for all your advice so far guys (and saabChick!)

Pete

·
Registered
97 Posts
Pete,

Depending on the stage you are at you can probably survive by bleeding the clutch for a while. When the problem started on the clutch it would last about a month between needing bleeds, but this interval started to get smaller. I finally got fed up when it got down to intervals of 3-4 days and then went for the repairs. It was also starting to get expensive in brake fluid at this stage as well.

I am not sure about the repair kits. I remember reading something about them, but not the exact details. It involves replacing some of the seals inside the master cylinder which perish with time, so to do that job you still need to remove it from the car, so if you have to go that far it may be as well to put a new one in place.

Good luck

Gordon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.