Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is excessive freeplay on my 92 Carly,s clutch pedal,resulting in early take up.Is there any form of manual adjustment? No drag or slip and gear changes fine,if a little slow,it,s just that you have to push the pedal to the floor and engagement takes place within an inch or two of release.It doesn't seem to have got any worse in the last 5,000 miles since purchase,it just doesn,t feel right

·
Registered
97 Posts
With the excessive play in the clutch pedal you describe, it sounds as if the master cylinder may be on the way out. If it hasn't been replaced it has lasted well for a 92 car. You could try bleeding the clutch to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
As well as the above, check the master cylinder pushrod for wear at the clevis. The pin wears the hole until it is oval and the free play becomes excessive. Replacement pushrods used to be available form Saab but I don't know if this is still the case. Alternatively it can be bored out and a bush fitted.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I agree with Gordon, almost certainly the master cylinder. Replacing the master is not a big job, it's the slave that you have to beware of as it involves getting right into the clutch.

When the master is replaced, best advice seems to be to drain all the fluid and flush copiously to remove any debris. This procedure reduces the chances of debris accelerating wear of the slave. If the slave has to be done it is probably time for a new clutch while you are in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.