Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

New to the site, but hoping to catch up fast......

Whilst driving my 1999 Viggen Cab along the motorway I went to change gear and my clutch pedal just went flat to the floor with no effort at all and stayed there! I managed to pull over onto the hard shoulder and the RAC man that had a look at my car spotted that the bleed nipple assembly that sits outside of the bell-housing was loose and said he believed the issue to be something loose relating to the slave cylinder so I was towed home.

Thoughts so far for root cause of problem are:

1) linkage between pedal and master cylinder broken - pedal just moving independently of anything else.
2) Seals in master cylinder gone - didn't see any fluid on the floor under the car.
3) Issue with Slave cylinder inside bell-housing

Anyone out there got any other suggestions for root causes or order of investigation to fix the fault. I do know that checking or changing the slave cylinder is a gearbox off job - so hoping it isn't this..

Any help gratefully received.......

Cheers

TonyB

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
Welcome to SS.

rebleed clutch,if it still goes to the floor either master or slave at fault.be surprised if it's the linkage to the cylinder from the pedal..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi - thanks for the welcome and reply - much appreciated.

I've got a pressure bleed kit so will use that to bleed system and see if any air comes out.

I will add to the post details of progress made.....

·
Banned
1,316 Posts
If you hadn't mentioned slave cylinders etc, I would have assumed you had a cable operated clutch and the cable had snapped, given that the Cavalier Mk3 that your car is based on also had a cable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sadly not, as I am sure this would have been a much easier fix. If it is the slave cylinder I know this is a gearbox off job to replace. I have "fond" memories of spending a conisderable amount of time changing the gearbox on a 9-5 I owned a while back. Unbelievable how much had to be removed to get the gearbox out!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts