Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys! Happy New Year from the good old USA!

I've got this problem with my Clutch master cylinder, to wit, it doesn't work.

This is a '87 9000 Turbo that has slowly lost pedal to the point where, when bled out, will only give about 1/4 throw.

The brakes are strong and share the same reservoir, but repeated bleeding of the clutch has no effect.

I hate to spend what is being asked for a new master cylinder and was wondering about how much sense it makes to try to replace the seals in one this old.

Has anyone out there got a used replacement for cheap, or a suggestion on which approach might be best? Is there a non-Saab replacement that might work?

HELP!!!!

John
’87 Saab 9000 Turbo
’76 911 S Targa
’86 944 N/A
’90 Bronco II
’87 Carrera (totaled)

·
Registered
243 Posts
hi jon, the only problem with putting new seals in an old master cylinder is that if there is any wear in the cylinder then the seals are basically useless and you are back to square one, the price of a new master cylinder in england is approximately £45 ( $70 to you)from places like german and swedish or euro car parts.
pending what the price is in the usa it might be best to get one of these companies to send one to you, and a bit of advice when you change the master cylinder, dump the clutch pipe that goes from the master to the slave cylinder and get a solid pipe made up out of copper because the flexi part of the clutch pipe is pourous and sods law means that will go next
hope this has helped and happy new year
mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts