Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi--

I'd like to replace this with braided hose as discussed before. Trouble is, I need to complete the swap in a weekend, if possible, so I need to get this hose in advance. But, until I remove the old one, I don't know what I need to get! Catch 22!

Can any kind person help me out with the details of the fittings and length and diameter of this hose?

Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi John I've just replaced my clutch master cylinder and I still have the old hose/pipes lying in the garage. Which hose is it you need the details from??
The feed hose from the reservior to the master cylinder or the pipe/hose/pipe section to the slave cylinder? The latter is a very short hose with a female connector at the slave cylinder end about 10" or 25cm long and is crimped to the pipe at the master cylinder end. HTH

Cheers C

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, CarlssonKid!

The one I am talking about (I believe this is the one that people recommend to replace, since it is the pressurised one I suppose) is the flexible part between the master and the slave.

It sounds like I'll have to cut the metal pipe before the crimp. Can you tell me what diameter the metal pipe is if you have it to hand?

And can you describe the female connector?

Thanks again for your help

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi john Yes after posting I realised the obvious hose to replace would be the pressurised one

The Pipe is Standard Brake pipe not sure what diameter though. looks to be 5mm.
Is there a specific replacement braided hose available?? I think if I was going to replace it i would try for a hose with the same female fitting at both ends and cut the pipe at the crimp end and fit a male fitting to the pipe with a brake pipe flaring tool.
The female fitting has a 12mm male brake pipe end joined to it. A mechanic friend seemed to think that the 12mm fitting was unusual, think they may be 13mm normaly ?? HTH

Cheers C

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you do ring Think - ask to speak to Matthew, or failing that Richard Collins.
Those 2 are very clued up and good at helping. Everyone else seems to struggle with basic spoken English, let alone the finer points of what they do/don't stock..

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went and had a look at my car where I'd parked it up ready to do the swap, and had a good look at this pipe. I didn't realise that it was so easy to get to!

Anyway, my one seems to be in good condition, so in the interest of not complicating the task, I've decided to leave it alone for now, partly at the advice of my friend who is helping me do the box swap

However, I did call Think and speak to Matthew, and he said that they would supply an assembled 10" braided hose with a 12mm female on one end and a 12mm male on the other (so you can cut the pipe and flare it and connect to it) for £20, which seems reasonable. The other possibility, as he pointed out, is to do a whole run of braided hose from master to slave, although I didn't ask how much that would be.

I think I'll keep this for another day though since it is so easily accesible it could be changed at any time.

Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi john £20 seems fine for a braided hose. The other solution I've seen mentioned is to disconect the hose at the female end and run a new pipe direct from the master to the male end of the slave pipe, putting a couple of coils in the pipe at the gearbox to allow for movement. The advantage of this is no more hose problems and you can make up the pipe out of the car which is easier HTH

Cheers C

·
Registered
91 Posts
FWIW, the braided hoses and fittings of the type that Think sell are really easy to make up yourself. You could probably get the length of hose and 2 fittings for well under a tenner IME, and spend 5mins making them up.

My car has a poorly alternator ATM and is away being fixed, so I can't go and look at the fittings, but IMO it would make more sense to have one long run of flexi hose if possible than faff about joining flexis and copper pipe (less joints thus less potential for leaks).

Braided hose is IRO £5 per metre, so with a coupla fittings this could also be the cheapest/simplest route.
WARNING! (If you do go this route don't forget to ensure that at least one end has a swivel or banjo fitting so you can actually do both ends up!! (voice of experience!
)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heh thanks Tim... I'll remember that. I think what you say makes a lot of sense too - flexi the whole way seems neater, and if it's good braided hose it shouldn't make the pedal mushy hopefully!

Since it's all quite accessible though I'm gonna leave it for another day and keep it simple - just get the car back on the road!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Flexi hose won't affect the pedal feel at all. The clutch(es) on my Westfield have flexi hoses and are fine.

Ultima cars also use flexihose throughout their cars for brake and clutch, and if all flexi is good enough for the brakes on a 200mph sportscar, it's plenty good enough for the clutch on a fast barge!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nope, it's real easy to do. All you need are 2 spanners (11 & 12mm I think, but maybe 12 & 13...), a hammer , and some sidecutters.

1) Cut hose to length.
2) Fit the locknut part over the hose (especially important with the second fitting!!)
3) run gently around the end of the hose about 5mm in with the sidecutters - this will flare out all the braided wire, and mean you can't slide the locknut on anymore..
4) fit the olive onto the plastic inner sleeve - tap down with hammer until it is all the way on. (IMPORTANT: ensure that all of the braided wire is outside the olive at this stage)
5) insert fitting into plastic tube and olive.
6) push the locknut over the olive and flared out braid and tighten down onto the fitting.

It's easier to do than explain, if you want I'll have a look and see if I've got some spare fittings and hose (pretty sure I have) and can do a step by step photo guide, if you want to DIY? Let me know..

Cheers,
Tim.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]oooohhhh
twin bike engines !!
niiice  
     :thumbsup:  

(mental note.. ignore all orange westfields in norfolk !!) [/qb][/b]
Well I've been in a kit car that has only ONE ZX900R motor in it and that was extremely quick, two engines is pretty serious indeed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb](mental note.. ignore all orange westfields in norfolk !!) [/qb][/b]
Originally posted by Jason (Mr Torque-Steer):
[qb]Well I've been in a kit car that has only ONE ZX900R motor in it and that was extremely quick, two engines is pretty serious indeed. [/qb][/b]
If you're in the area with your crash hat, drop me a PM and I'll show you what real
is like

Well, if I ever put the thing back together again anyhow!

JohnCC - Let me know if you want the photo-guide thing for how to do the fittings, I do have a spare (that doesn't fit anything useful anymore) and some hose so it's no problem..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.