Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been mentioned before but one thing that puts me off visiting more often is that the site is really 'clunky' no matter which PC I access it from. I can't quite remember when I first noticed this - it may have been some years ago maybe when split from the SOC. I spend more time on UKSaabs now despite joining this forum in 2003 and learning a lot from it. I'm now on my 3rd Saab...soon to be 4th. Is it really just down to the ads??

Al

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
i dont find it that bad, but yes i noticed a big change since ads started appearing i suppose ever since "Mar 14, 2014 - 7:39 PM" for me lol

a lot of the time its frustrating to use on the iphone so only really check it when im on a computer

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I use four of the popular Saab forums and have no issues although I use Firefox with adblocker...which may be the reason.
Of all the sites I find uksaabs suffers the most outage with the site down at least once or twice a month and I visit the sites usually every day.

·
Super Moderator
3,056 Posts
Yep I get wobbly saabscene sometimes but that's on my iPad when I'm out , and I keep getting ads for mature ladies in my aera , and cute Russian ladies wanting a English husband , but that only happends if I'm not logged in . And how it thinks I'm after mature ladies or Thease cute Russians I will never know , knowing my luck I woukd prolly end up with a shot putter built like a tank legs like tree trunks that goes by the name of helga.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
ive never really used any other site, everything ive needed has been right here, but i am part of the uksaabs facebook group and yep everyone seems to complain about the general every couple of weeks

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I'm another one who uses Firefox with Adblock Plus as an Add on. It has made my overall experience of using this site much better. Without Adblock, my previous experience was one of constant stalling, 'mature ladies in my area' and anything else that could get through. All that has stopped now.

·
Administrator
5,104 Posts
It's the adds which slow the site down..I just disable the adobe shockwave add-ons,that stops the animated ads running which is the biggest issue..if i leave them to run i get nothing but slow loading of the pages not to mention cpu after cpu after cpu warning,because it's running at 100% with the cooling fan running full chat to cool it down..
Saab central which is run by the same group when you log into that site you don't get any ads when you log in..so no issues..

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I'm on Firebox with Adblock plus. Aerojon how did you disable the adobe shockwave add-ons?

Cheers,
Al

·
Administrator
365 Posts
Hey guys,

Can you explain a bit more to me what you mean by 'clunky'. Is the site loading slowly or are you seeing a lot of ads that get in the way of the posts/threads/content? Re-directs and all.

If the site is slow, it doesn't necessarily mean it's because of the ads and it also depends on what device you're using to browse the site, what layout you're on and whether or not you're logged in.

When the site is at it's slowest in your opinion, please let me know how you're viewing the site. So, what device are you using (phone/tablet/computer) and which of them (andoird/apple/windows)? What browser you're using and are you logged in? If you're using the app, please also state the specifics (which app, what device, which version). And where in the forum is it taking unusually long to load.

We want to be able to help you all have access to the community, but we'll need to know specifically where we can help. Screen shots of what you're seeing can be extremely helpful.

Thank you all for your patience and dedication. :)

Lee, community support

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
the easiest way to resolve a problem like this is to find alternative funding sources for the hosting of the site rather than bombarding users with adverts that we are all probably conditioned into ignoring anyway

·
Administrator
365 Posts
the easiest way to resolve a problem like this is to find alternative funding sources for the hosting of the site rather than bombarding users with adverts that we are all probably conditioned into ignoring anyway
Hi,

We do have a paid subscription option which does limit the amount of advertising paid members experience. It doesn't completely limit the ads, but it does minimize it significantly.

Cheers,
Sheena

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Sheena,
When I said clunky, I mean that there's a delay on scrolling then the site kinda 'catches up'. I also had to wait to write this 'quick reply'. I moved my cursor into the box and then had to click 4 or 5 times and wait for the cursor to appear in the box. This happens when logged on. Access is via several pcs..at work and home. It's the same whichever.

Al

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
must admit i do experience that myself at times

also when i reply sometimes/ most of the times after the first letter inputted it then goes to the next line automatically and continues from there lol

running 8.1 on i.e

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also lose my cursor half way through a post so I need to guess where it is when i need to draw breath lol

·
Registered
375 Posts
must admit i do experience that myself at times

also when i reply sometimes/ most of the times after the first letter inputted it then goes to the next line automatically and continues from there lol

running 8.1 on i.e
^^^ this happens to me a lot ^^^

Also if I type too quickly a lot of the letters are missed out and it looks like I am speaking welsh

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
thinking about it I also I have to switch to editor source mode to inset an emotion

sort of become the norm so I really don't think about it, thinking it was down to my laptop

1 - 17 of 17 Posts