Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not used my car for a couple of weeks (last run out was 200 mile round trip ), and when I parked it up it was fine. Started it up last last, pulled away when there was the sound of loud
. I moved off (thought it could be rust in the discs), but it sounded like the wheel was rubbing on something, a sort of flapping sound . Stopped and had a quick look-could see, or feel nothing. Continued on very very slowly, thinking it could be a sticking brake caliper. Stopped a few hundred yards up the road, and took it back home. I go to work in the dark, and get home in the dark, and with no street lights where I am (and my tourches at work!) won't be able to see in daylight until Sunday (when all the garages are closed). The wheel feels tight on the hub, and when I did brake it pulled up ok. There seems to be no parts on the floor where I park it. Any ideas what it could be? A longshot I know, but it worries me, and will do until I see it in daylight .

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Sorry, Gixer. Missed part of the description of the noise, so I'm guessing. However, I have had loud grinding scraping noises on my Aero on two occasions. The second time, I was convinced that an exhaust hanger had broken and stopped to look under the car. Everything looked normal.

First time, I traced it to one of the rear wheels, which made the most horrendous noise when turned by hand. Turning it backwards and forwards eventually caused a large stone to fall out from where it had been lodged between the brake disc and backplate.

Second time, the noise stopped after I started back home to change cars. I assume it was the same thing. There is a lot of loose gravel in the area of my garage and I suspect that's where they got picked up.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Oh, I also had a spring break on my '87 9000T. This scraped on the inside wall of the tyre and ruined it within a few hundred yards. Best to just run your hand round the back of each tyre to see if there is a groove. If so, what I did was fit the spare (space-saver) to take it to have a new spring fitted. Being narrower, the spare didn't rub on the broken end of the spring. Then I had to buy a new tyre (the old one had only about 200 miles on it).

And are your wheelnuts tight? You'd probably have noticed any play when you shook the wheels, though. Other than that, perhaps a loose hub nut? I found that the play this gives isn't apparent with the weight on the wheel, but only with the wheel raised. And my wheel was seriously loose. No noise, though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The missing word should have been CRACK. Had Koni's & new Abbott springs fitted (by Abbott) about 1500 miles ago, so i hope its not a broken spring-it sits okay. It maybe as simple as a stone in the brake, but somehow I doubt it. As I drove off and the speed increased (to about 15mph) the noise sounded like something was flapping off of the wheel, with a metallic sounding "tcccchhhh" sort of noise. Always happens doesn't it-working till 9 pm Saturday, taking the car to have the exhaust system made on Monday, Goodwood on 22nd. Lets hope I can sort it by then. Anyone any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Gixer,

Additionally, check to make sure that your tie rods, and other wheel supporting members are all intact, as it sounds like a connection point may have pulled apart/snapped.

Worth checking all weelnuts are tight. Although only slightly loose nuts give a clear 'knock' 'knock' noise.

I once had an engine mount on a VW Diesel snap (in very cold weather) and this caused misalignment of the greabox in reverse and associated rubbing noise. Shouldn't be a problem with Saab mounting points though.

Definately check it out asap, for your own safety as well as others.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looks like I've got a busy Sunday ahead Luckily it's my "fun" car, so don't have to relie on it for getting to and from work-working in Central London, that's what the Suzuki's are for. I'll check everything mentioned, and more, and come Sunday will probably spend as much time on the site as I will the car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SORTED Turned out to be a damn great stone jammed in the wheel! Don't know how it got there, but pulled the wheel off this morning and the stone fell out. No damage to disk, caliper or wheel thank God. I cannot believ the amount of noise (and worry!) a stone could cause. Thanks again for all the advice-luckily unneeded.

Having full stainless steel exhaust system fabricated on Monday-should pick it up Friday, work permitting. Will post my findings then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts