Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I became a fully paid up member of Club Maptun thanks to those jolly nice chaps at WMSS who fitted a stage 1 ECU to my 9000 Aero.

Just getting acquainted with all that extra

More to follow no doubt when the standard pipe falls off...

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Fantastic

I have a Maptun Ecu and have found that the performance is quite deceptive, only when my son pointed out that the speedo now rises faster than the rev counter did I realise how smooth the power delivery is, and it just keeps coming!

Enjoy

·
Registered
22 Posts
/saabforum/images/graemlins/confused.gif /saabforum/images/graemlins/confused.gif /saabforum/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've just recently joined club maptun too. Stage three for me
Now just trying to convince my better halve that stage 4 is a better investment than a deposit for a new megane scenic!

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Originally posted by turbo-900:
[qb]  Now just trying to convince my better halve that stage 4 is a better investment than a deposit for a new megane scenic! [/qb][/b]
Ahh, that'll be the "Widows Club Maptun!"

Actually thats a testimony to the smoothness of the Maptun upgrade in my car, she has driven it on short commutes and has no idea of the extra

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
aeroboy...funny coincidence I was at WMSS on friday too
and I was joining club maptun as well..
But have three weeks to wait
Getting the gearbox done and the rest of the suspension + steering rack polyed

In the meantime got a super 2.0 i 9000 cd to waft around in
my its comfy !!
makes 70 on the m6 seem almost a pleasure
gets blown about a bit in the wind tho

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hello fellow Maptuners..

I've considering the stage4 on my ng900SET...td04 turbo in-hand, on a quest for the plumbing, and best actuator/wastegate setup.

Aiming for that 300 mark...that ought to make some "getti-up" in her.

Maybe the "SC" folks will start another forum group with enough members.

If anyone is reading...perhaps individual groups for all the top ECU programmers like Maptune, SQR, Hirsch, BSR. That might make for some really interesting reading.

DC

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ylee

John was telling me about your upgrade when I was there on Saturday morning having mine done.

Should be a right
when it's finished! Though I can't help feeling that your gearbox may become a consumable along with your oil and filter...

...you were doing 70 on the M6 on a Friday...must be a very magical CD indeed...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
aeroboy - the Maptun Stage 1 must be pretty much identical to the Speedparts 1 (which I'm still looking at and which I think claims a few extra horses) - Do you feel it was worth doing? Is there really a good noticeable increase in power?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by faero:
[qb]aeroboy - the Maptun Stage 1 must be pretty much identical to the Speedparts 1 [/qb][/b]
For which car are we talking about. If it a question about 9-3 T5, then there are "big" differences.
-SP has tampered knocking sensitivity setting
-SP has crazy timing advance setting
-SP has eliminated Pressure guard from software (not sure for stage I but definitly for stage III.)

Not many thumbs up for that kit from me

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
vigge, its for a 9000 aero. I wonder if they have done similar for this upgrade too? I would generally go for the 'safer' upgrade if its only a couple of HP I am arguing over. Pretty low level info. but I wonder if any 9k owners know what was done here?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Then again, that SpeedParts kit would be ideal for a car with water injection. The high ignition advance and low knock sensitivity would let it take full advantage of it.

Of course I can't speak for reliability.
But all those features which are bad for standard would work well with a little aquamist. Might be worth taking into consideration at least ...

Cheers!
Dubbya

edit: High ignition advance also lowers ETG. (EGT is a big problem on just about every Saab engine but the B235R, which is *slightly* more resillient.) Apparently though, SpeedParts set theirs up too agressively. But other car owners seem to swear by SpeedParts. Grain of salt perhaps? Personally I'd still go with MapTun if I was putting it into a stock car.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Peronally I have experiences from my viggen with both SP and Maptun software. I and many other people at the Finnish saab club think the following, when comparing these makes.

-SP kits dont look out for your tranny as much. Boost kicks in very rapid and driving if far from smooth. SP kits also use more "overboost".

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Hadn't considered them before as they are quite a bit more expensive (420Map vs. 320SP GBP for stage 1) but if its a better and more reliable result then I'm definitely going to investigate. Engine wise the car is stock except for a performance filter.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Originally posted by faero:
[qb]Hadn't considered them before as they are quite a bit more expensive (420Map vs. 320SP GBP for stage 1) but if its a better and more reliable result then I'm definitely going to investigate. Engine wise the car is stock except for a performance filter. [/qb][/b]
If you allready have an upgrade from any other tuner, Maptun will give you -40% on their software
Changing upgrades is not that expencive if you have a buyer for your current one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts