Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a clonk from the O/S front suspension under braking at hard lock at low speed, sometimes does it when manouvering in a parking space going lock to lock when hardly moving, it's just passed it's MOT and nothing has been highlighted as having excess movement, I keep thinking about the lower swivel, has anyone else had this? or have any ideas

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I have a similar noise that I can hear whie steering at very low speed, typically parking. I was advised to check my sub-frame bolts for torque but couldn't find anyhting amiss. A couple of years ago I had a similar noise on a cavlier I had and it turned out to be the shock absorber top mount bearing thingy had broken. Trouble was that this then resulted in a twisting motion that bent the shock. Sure hope I (or anyone else) isn't having the same problem in 9000s

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, I'll start with the top mount and work my way through the rest of the suspension components til I cure it, I'll keep you posted as to what I find, Cheers

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I've had a similar thing on a VW with the top bearing for the shock. What was happening was that when you turned the steering, the spring was "twanging" since it was being turned from the bottom and the top of it was fixed by the siezed bearing.

If the Saab is similar, then if you watch the spring while someone turns the steering from lock to lock while stationary, you would see if this was the case.

The same car then came up with another problem which could apply, since the symptoms were similar. The steering rack mounting bolts had worked loose (the garage that changed it probably didn't torque them up or something). You could see this, since again with an assistant turning the wheel from lock to lock, if you looked down behind the engine you could see the rack moving about 1" side to side
!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers guys, that's given me some food for thought, when I discover the problem you'll be the 1st to know, thanks again (maybe we should run a sweepstake to see who gusses right)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a similar thing. Just one big clonk when steering lock to lock in the car park.

I turned out to be the bushes that hold the steering rack. At first I couldn't see any movement because I had the front wheels jacked up and there was no force on the rack.

Fitting polybushes on the rack fixed it.

Cheers
Gadgeteer.

P.s. I'm breaking my 9000 so if you can be bothered to take the bushes off my car let me know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.