Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed thisa morning that the digital clock with distance to dest. etc in the dashboard of my '97 aero appears to be too dull.

If i switch the lights on the display grows brighter as it should (Though perhaps still not enough.
However, in daylight the clock is almost invisible.

I'm also not sure if the 'economy' meter along the bottom of the main instrument panel isn't a little dull as well.

Neither of these appear to be effected by the main dimmer switch for the dashboard which does alter the brightness of everything else exactly as it should.

Does anyone have any idea's as to what to check, connections etc?

Thanks
Skiddins

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, both the clock and the economy meter definitely appear to be too dim.

Turning on side lights or main beam does increase the brightness but not by enough.

Anyone know where the control circuits are for this?

Skiddins

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Skiddins:
[qb]Well, both the clock and the economy meter definitely appear to be too dim.

Turning on side lights or main beam does increase the brightness but not by enough.

[/qb][/b]
Well confused by that- AFAIK the dimmer control for these is just governed by the photoelectric cell in the clock module- it's about 8mm in diameter, just to the bottom right odf the clock/trip computer display. You coudl try shining a torch on it- the displays should become brighter after a few seconds, then cover it with your finger; they should go darker.

Try that and see how far you get...

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just tried the torch, made no difference at all.

There must be a control circuit somewhere.

What does that photo' cell actually do?
Is it there to control the brightness according to ambient light?

Skiddins

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Yep, that went on my Aero too, years ago...

Bought a brand new one at steam and spare last year for £10 (turned it doen the year earlier at £50). That went into the Aero, the old dim only one went into the Carlsson to replace the analogue clock (but still has goo sensor.

I had choices of:-

Short to 12v full bright, too much for over night.
Leave as is, to dim during bright daylight.
Connect it to the wire on dash reostat and have it run at dash brightness.

One other oddity is when the car get cooked in the summer, it runs bright for 10-15 mins until it cools down.

The until is easy to remove and take apart, I just couldn't be bothered.

PS. if you get a new 2nd had one be wary there are at least 3 types, old 9000 style (with clock symbol on button) new CS style with 3 plugs and newer still with 2 plugs.

Andrew

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going back to an old thread!

I have now noticed that if my car's dashboard is in the sun in these hot temps, the clock/computer etc come on at full brightness and seem to stay that way for the whole journey.

When the car is restarted it will then be back to dim.

Has anyone ever managed to establish which circuit/component/connection causes all this grief?
Do you know how many control boxes etc are involved for the computer etc?

I haven't had the dash off yet, bushes and mounts etc are more important at the moment.

This is a minor problem but it really is beginning to aggrevate me.

Thanks
Skiddins

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.