Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in Brisbane Australia it gets a little warm from time to time as you might expect, and I am sorely disappointed with the air conditioning on my 9000 Aero. I have spoken to people over here that assure me that it is as good as it gets and I wasn't satisfied, so I took it to an air con expert who filled me with shullbit and charged me $170 for the privilege and its still [expletive deleted]!! Anyone have any ideas PLEASE!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. Over here, as you can imagine, the air con gets a lot more use than it would in the UK, so the first thing that is checked is the gas cos that's what normally would be considered as routine maintenance. The whole system has be checked and given the all clear by 2 seperate air con experts. One of them even resorted to calling the local Saab dealer and they actually told him that he had it running colder than normal. The air con experts aim for around 4 degrees but only managed to get mine down to 8-9 degrees. Saab said that the best they could hope to achieve would be around the 11-13 degrees!! NOT cold enough for the hot Brisbane days(only about 8 out of 12 months per year)!!!!!!!!HELP

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I assume that you have the system set on 'RECYCLE' so that you are not cooling the external air comming into the car all the time.

If you set the ACC to 'RECYCLE' your internal tempreture will continue to drop to the lowest the system can set, by continuing to cool the internal air.

Some folks get scared this could suffocate the driver, but I am a bit sceptical. If you feel sleepy turn the recycle off for a while. If their was a potential danger the manufacturers would need BIG warnings signs or face BIG liabilities!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I suspected, whilst in auto climate control the re-circ LED is illuminated so thanks anyway Paul for the suggestion. The temp here in Brisbane at the moment is around 35 degrees and this is just too much for the air con on this dlooby car!!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Strange you say the re-circulate LED is on, pressume you mean all time(?). Temps got up to 34 a few times here in the UK this summer and the ACC on my Aero didn't have a problem coping with that, and I don't remember it going onto re-circulate at all.......
I know someone who used to have a 9000 when he lived in California/Arizona and he never had any complaints about the his ACC there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I give up!!!! I'll just have to resort to driving my wife's Daewoo Lanos Sport that has a 1600 [expletive deleted] box in it but more than adequately handles the VERY efficient air con system. Not much fun to drive after a 9000 Aero, but then its not much fun driving the Aero whilst dripping with sweat!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
trejon,
It was worth a shot, but since posting my tuppeny-worth, I have discovered that the ACC II system automatically switches the air to 'recycle' mode at external tempretures of 25C (in line with Derek's comment). Not sure if the older ACC I systems does though.

ACC II does 'NOT' light the recylce LED in 'Auto' mode, when recycling with external temps of 25C!!

Unless the actuator is 'stuck' you can ensure that the 'recycle' mode is activated by pressing the manual 'recycle' button, even in auto-mode.

Anyway, I concur with aeropilot that the system copes well will 25+ temps (on the few times I have experienced it in the UK )

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I guess we haven't been too much help in solving your problem..

But I would check with other local Saab aircon experts and see if any belive that the system should run cooler.

Alternatively you could try shipping some of your weather our way (although we are experiencing the warmest summer on record, with an amazingly mild winter - we could still do with some 'real' heat)!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Could the problem somehow be releated to the 'sun sensor' on the dashboard (the small black dome) not working?
I know the ACC system takes lots of measurements to decide how to function.

Sorry, i'm no A/C expert, this is the first car i've had with it and i've only had it 3 weeks.

Skiddins

·
Registered
300 Posts
Terminal 31 (White/Yellow) from the main ACC connector produces the signal for Air Con to operate (via the engine management or fuel inj to prevent operation at full throttle and also allow for pre emptive idle speed compensation)
So basically if term 31 is producing a signal then the fault is probably not with the ACC but the AC itself.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Trejon Assuming you have had the system pressure tested/recharged have you checked the pressure switch?
On early models this was nicely located behind the false bulkhead panel on the receiver, but alas on later models the whole receiver has been coveniently moved half inside the inner wing below the washer bottle near the drivebelt and so is great fun to work on!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.