Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after much futzing about, it is evident that the Clarion sound system in my new ('93) 9000 CSE is shot. It won't hold take the code the dealer swears is correct. (I've heard that batteries and/or capacitors go after about 10 years making both the radio/cassette and CD/equalizer units suitable for target practice and little else.

OK. I can live with that. So I go to Best Buy (a big box electronics dealer here in the states) and I can pick up a decent FM/CD unit for about $100US. Fine. But the installers have no diagrams for the wiring and can't quote anything other than "a lot" to figure it out. Amazon.com says the service manuals are out of print.

What a mess. Can anyone tell me the speaker pinouts on the dash harnesses? I really want to know the leads to the front speakers and the leads to the amp under the seat. Armed with this, I can trow the whole Clarion mess out the window at speed and have a new Sony installed.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hi Hare Bare

If you use the Search facility at the top of the page, you'll often find what you're looking for- without having to wait!

Anyway, the link is here ; the only bit of info to add is that the brown/white wire is illumination.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here in the uk you can get a plug to fit in the original socket to avoid cutting wires etc. On these gives the correct wiring diagram! I only know this cos I bought one for my 9000. Get them from halfords car accessories over here or any good audio supplier. try a search for saab wiring harness adapter.

this is the UK supplier- http://www.halfords.com/opd_category.asp?root=1&id=48

hope it helps some way

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, me of little faith!

After searching for a good half hour on"another forum" and sifting through what seemed like every message posted to alt.cars.saab in the past 12 years (all in vain, mind you), I wandered over here and posted the question.

Thanks for the answer and thanks for the gentle reminder, "Seek, and ye shall find."

What a great resource this is!

- Hare

·
Registered
8 Posts
geez, I have searched and can't find anyone that has a wiring harness for this mess behind my stock clarion cassette. Its a 94 9000; I've got the amp under the seat type. I searched, really...really I did.

I bought a blaupunkt miami, its on its way; but I've no idea what these wires are. Can anyone clue me in?

pics of wiring

Picture #6 is of the back panel of the iso chassis taken apart. The unit slides into this and the socket connections are made.

What is the very think black one marked with blue tape in picture #7? There is also a red one and yellow one of the same variety that do not connect to anything.

Picture 5, 8, 9 are of the same 2 connectors, different views. One connector has green/brown/red/blue. Might these be the out to amp? The other connector (with foam on it) has different colors on either side...you can see in the photo (bottom of photo is coming from the deck, top coming from the dash).

Yeah, I know what the brown one in the background is for.
Thank you soooo much for your help!

rd

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not 100% sure from the pics but heres the standard coloured wires and use's of my 9000 '96

red - main positive
yellow - memory positive backup
blue - aerial switch/remote
orange - dial illumination
black - negative
white +
white/black- speaker front left
grey+
grey/black- speaker front right
green+
green/black- speaker rear left
purple+
purple/black- speaker rear right

the best solution if you can't find out would be to get hold of 12volt power tester so you can determine which cables are needed.

Or try an auto electricians!

My car didn't have a stereo at all when I got it but I found an audio connector for the saab 9000 that made it possible to just plug in the main circuit I then added my own amp that was much simpler to understand!
Can you give more details on what you are requiring from your new stereo setup and are you still wanting to use to use the original amp? as formentioned!
Are you expecting the harness that your original stereo slides in to to fit your clarion?

hope these details help.

Just tried a search and they come back saying that all 9000 models between 1986-1998 all have the same wiring harness for the stereos!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the info. I hope I don't get too needy with what is requested below...but just can't afford to bring it to an installer right now.

right, well, there shouldn't be any speaker leads behind the dash because the amp is under the seat. What there should be is the signal output to the amp, right? Which ones are those? Is that the connector with 4 wire outs (blue red yellowtobrown green) or 6 wire outs?

It seems it would be the 4 (4 outs, 4 speakers), but why not 8? They should be in pairs, as RCA pairs are, right?

Or is it the multi pin connector marked with blue...

I plan on running new speaker wire from the under seat amp to the head unit (intercepting the speaker leads as they plug into the amp) . The amp will be bypassed; the head unit will then power the speakers. This seems the easiest option.

Any online car audio shop I have searched does not carry anything Saab related. Where did you (Andy) find the connector you speak of?

So I guess my questions is...;-)....how does one use a multimeter to determine which wire is which?

Sorry for being so needy. Thanks for listening ;-)

rd

·
Registered
95 Posts
here is a great site for stereo and alarm wiring references...it helped me when I installed my custom stereo system
Wiring Database

just FYI - if you are working with an aftermarket security system, you can deviate from the wiring plan for the door triggers (each door is independent of the other, relays on the 9000 (1994) are mounted under the rear passenger seat)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.