Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have a problem with poor connections on the rear tail/brake lights.

1. Im constantly getting intermittant alerts on the graphic display on the dash these come and go depending on bumps etc. I then try to make sure the bulb is connected ok which it seems to be only to manifest the same problem on the next journey.

2. Due to this Im going thru bulbs at frequent intervals due to the fact that the connection is poor etc..

Im going take a good look at them during the next few days and see why its going and if I can find a permanent solution. It would be great if someone out there has some tips on how to resolve this problem.

Did Saab change the design of the bulb holders on later models?.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I used to get this on my 92 CS - when I had a good look at what was going on, I discovered that the plastic holder that holds the bulb in place had cracked slightly. A tie-wrap and a bit of hot glue sorted it out and it hasnt been a problem since.

With the bulb out, it looks OK, but when the bulb is in, I could see that the spring was pushing one of the contacts away.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
623 Posts
My '87 is a nightmare too from this point of view. I use to have the rear left turn signal bulb not working, so I remove the tailight, touch and twist a bit the bulb, and it works again for a while.
Also the brake bulb make me crazy, always on the left side.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers,

Sorry for the delay in replying, Im just back from glasgow... via the slowboat to belfast .

It seems its more than me with the same problem I have the tail and brake light giving trouble and also the second tail light looses power now and again. Im going to take the whole tray out and get a proper look at it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
When you get the bulbs out check to see if there is a white deposit on either the metal portion of the bulbs or around the base plate connection.

Sometimes thro'dampness the metal oxidises and this deposit builds up causing poor conductivity, hence the warnings.

Clean off with small wire brush, file, dry sandpaper, & reconnect. Check for any leaks around the light cluster.

Hope that helps.

Ric

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Ric,

Ive noticed that the metal collar that the bulb fits into seems to have worked loose from the main part of the plastic tray.

Its hard to describe but from what I can see is that the metal collar needs to be firmly fitted onto the plastic tray as it makes the connection with the wires that run to it.

Im guessing that because the metal collar is loose that the connection is being occasionally broken. I hope you can make sense of that .

Happy New Year!
Michael

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.