Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday, the auxilliary drivebelt idler pulley started chirping (dry bearing?).
I had just started the car on my driveway and I heard it start. A quick listen under the bonnet confirmed it, so I abandoned what I was doing and took the engine mounting off, took the tension off the belt and checked. Top rear pulley - running not too rough, but squeaking. I took off the pulley, popped out the dirt shield, greased the bearing and put it back together. Smooth quiet running again.
I have now got a replacement pulley and belt, but I don't want to do the job this weekend as I am taking the other half away for a surprise birthday weekend, and I don't want to fix it tonight as she will say - why don't you leave it to the weekend....
Any ideas, will it fall apart in the next 3-400 miles?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Let's hope your other half doesn't read Saabscene

My experience of chirping/failing pulleys suggests you should survive 400 miles (although when mine eventually failed it took the belt and the tensioner with it so get it done as soon as possible).

You will however drive with a new level of paranoia and hear every noise, no matter how trivial!

Enjoy the weekend.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is the chirping, fairly high pitched? Mines been doing this for months, I can only hear it with the window down, so its easy to ignore! I'm now worried, is there an expensive bill on the horizon?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pezza, yes the chirping was quite high-pitched and intermittent, chirp, chirp, ......, squeak, chirp, ....

If the pulley goes, you have no alternator drive, no power steering and possibly a broken tensioner and whatever else the belt can wipe out on it's way. The pulley and new short belt just cost me £60.

Andrew Sinclair, there is NO CHANCE of her reading Saabscene, she gets bored enough with me talking cars without her searching for extra Saab waffle.

I just dug out an 'SKF bearing maintenance and replacement guide' and looking at the charts for recommended relubrication periods, SKF would suggest that a radial ball bearing of this size and estimated speed (approx double crank speed?) would need re-lubricating at between 3-4000 hrs operation. Based on mileage against average speed, I think mine will be at about 3000hrs, so perhaps it is about time the bearing was looked at. (not part of the Saab service schedule though )

I'm more confident now, but I'll take the spare and the tools with me.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Is the chirping, fairly high pitched? Mines been doing this for months, I can only hear it with the window down, so its easy to ignore! I'm now worried, is there an expensive bill on the horizon?

[/ QUOTE ]

As SJ says you don't want it to let go on the move. No power steering, no PAS brakes etc. (I once stalled the car as I was turning it and was dumbfounded by how hard it was to turn 'manually' as it were.)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had that exact Idler Pulley you mention fail (well the wife did actually) just after we purchased the car.

I guess the horror stories of total destruction are possible but in our case it was just a seized pulley and lots of melted rubber and bits of belt.

I gues the misses just stopped the engine quick enough. (You should have seen the smoke..... were her opening comments on the phone!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.