Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I e mailed Abbott regarding "chipping" the my car (2.3 auto 91'),he said there was nothing he could do,apart from supply a ITG filter.
Is there anyone else who could do this,or is just that mine cant for some reason be chipped.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
The only things I can think of on a non-turbo are:

Air Filter
Exhaust
FSE Power Boost Valve

Other than that you'd be talking big money - i.e. bolting on a turbo.

I fitted the FSE valve to my old 9000XS 2.0i - though didn't notice any performance difference...

Abbott/Hirsch etc do concentrate on the Turbo's as they are a lot easier to upgrade.

To be brutally honest, if you want more power, it would be cheaper to change to a turbo car. The LPT's are 150BHP as standard, but can be chipped (via ECU) to 190BHP. FPT's can be sorted too, though at 200BHP, you'd notice the difference against a non turbo 2.3.

Can anyone else suggest any other mods that can be done relatively cheaply to a non turbo 2.3??

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Try this website for lots of ideas and how-tos. I think you may be best concentrating first on the suspension/ driveability side of things. A lot can be done cheaply with poly bushings. And there's not much point spending a fortune upgrading the engine if it goes like a pig round corners.

Try Optimax petrol and see if makes a difference, it probably will (does for me). The other thing is to think about an Ecotek device . I definitely notice improved throttle response in the N/A 900.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The Ecotek device will work BETTER on a non-turbo, so definately would recommend it for performance/economy improvement!

NB: The Ecotek device dosn't work on accelleration with Turbo chargers, as the positive pressure closes the Ecotek valve.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I'm sure Julian of Elkparts has fitted one to his 9000. I'm almost positive the Ecotek can be fitted - I'm sure I've heard someone saying it is more fiddly than a C900 though...

Julian or /John about? They'd be able to answer this one....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.