Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a fairly deep stone chip in my window fixed at Autoglass recently ( cost£65) I meant to ask how they do it but forgot , anyone know? , it looks invisible now.

The other point was; my windscreen has a long , arcing scratch/scrape which aligns with one of the wiper blade support bracket thingies. It looks to be abraision caused by contact between the metal part of the blade and the glass. It's right in my line of vision and a real pain esp. in sunlight. Does any one have experience of polishing this type of scratch away? Is there a product designed for this?
I remember reading that headlamps can be polished up with T-cut to make them look nicer prior to selling a car , would this work on the windscreen I wonder?

·
Registered
600 Posts
My brothers in-law work for autoglass and they fixed the chip in my winscreen.
They have a vacuum pump which slightly pulls the outer laminate of the glass away from the lower layers, then they allow resin into "gap", which allows the winscreen to relax back as it was. They put a heat/UV light over resin to cure it, scrape off excess and no more chip. It took him about 20 mins !!!

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Chartermarque:
[qb]For £50 you can get a completely new windscreen if you have comp insurance [/qb][/b]
Which, unless it has been genuinely damaged in a real accident/incident, would be fraud and something that we cannot condone here.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Which, unless it has been genuinely damaged in a real accident/incident, would be fraud and something that we cannot condone here. [/QB][/QUOTE]

What rubbish!!!

An insurance company will replace a damaged windscreen, whether the crack has been caused by your little girl dropping her dolly on it or a brick falling off a motorway bridge...it is not fraud, it is claiming on a comprehensive policy for any damage, however caused

·
Registered
189 Posts
I understand that if you do have fully comprehensive insurance and you contact them to let them know the screen's chipped some companies will authorise and pay for a repair, thereby hopefully avoiding the high cost of a replacement screen subsequently. Must be worth a phone call.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Chartermarque,

I think what MarkE was suggesting without saying it was that, taking a screwdriver,stanley blade, automatic centre punch or hammer to your windscreen and damging it further just because you fancy a new windscreen is not right and I have to agree with him.

We all complain about high insurance and this act which happens (allegedly) helps keep the costs up.

Quote "what rubbish !!! "

MarkE as a staff member was only doing his job, try show him a little more respect.

Enough of me, I am sure he can fight his own corner.

Haggag01

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
saab tyro is right. Most insurers will repair chips and cracks free of charge. No excess. No nothing. All they ask is that you get it done as soon as possible so that there is no water or dirt in it.

After the last repair the man left some small clear "elastoplast" patches for protecting the chip/crack as soon as it happens so that it will be clean and dry when he comes to repair it.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Haggag01 is correct in his interpretation of my post.

Now might also be a good point to remind all members of this section of of the AUP

Manner
· Be nice to each other!
· Exchange ideas in a civil and measured manner and to avoid "flames" (angry, mean-spirited posts)
· Assume good will and hold fire on the assumption that most misunderstandings arise from the text-based format of the discussion rather than from negative intent on the part of others
· Practice good posting manners and refrain from dominating conversations with endless sequential posts and self-gratifying boasting
· Learn to listen to written words and the person behind those words[/b]

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately I don't, and never have had, fully comp insurance.

NB: The chap at Autoglass said that most insurance co.s will sell you "windscreen cover" as an addition to your third party policy for "about £20". Sounds OK to me, I'll check it out , particularly as I collected another ( much smaller) chip yesterday!
However , having driven for 20years without any claims I'm still ahead money wise.
Smug pause followed by sounds of crashing Saab......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.