Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have just installed a Chinese 2Din Android head unit but it frequently reboots with the Antenna plugged in, strangely rock solid if I don't plug the antenna in but of course I don't then have radio.

I have got the antenna powered from the stereo and am using a Fakra adapter which is also powered. When I first installed I used a none powered Fakra adapter and hadn't powered the antenna from the stereo and it kept rebooting constantly. I then installed the powered Fakra adapter and it rebooted less frequently but reception was rubbish. I then also powered the antenna using the head unit to original antenna power cable from the oem harness and the reception got a lot better but the unit still reboots more often than not a few mins after the initial startup and once it's rebooted itself then I have no sound or even hiss on the radio until I cold boot the unit.

I don't understand why or how the antenna could cause the unit to reboot as I've checked and it's not like I'm getting any voltage backfeed down the antenna cable to the head unit.

I might go down the route of replacing the current antenna to see if that fixes the issue but before I spend more time and money does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
:crazy::confused:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've now just fitted one of those cheap hidden antenna's and it seems far more stable (but signal rubbish), it still reboots but only once every other day now. When it reboots itself then no radio until a cold boot. Think it's time to return for replacement.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sounds like a software issue with the headunit. Have you tried updating to the latest version of Android, if possible? or try resetting back to factory settings?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm thinking of buying one of these, did you ever get it sorted?

Was it a Joying box, or a Pumpkin, or something else?

·
Registered
43 Posts
You saying that drove me to investigate a bit more.

It looks like there are quite a few variants which are basically the same innards in different combinations, and with different front panels. Because the non-radio/amp/dvd player bit of it is a plain Android box the Android hacker community have been in there as well.

This looks like a good starting point if anyone is interested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts