Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive 18 miles to work each day cruising 50-60 mph in my 1989 turbo. On the way in after 6 miles the car loses a bit of power and the check engine warning lights up. If I move my foot either up or down on the accelerator normal service resumes. If I do nothing normal service resumes after about 300 yards.

On my way back from work after 12 miles the exact same thing happens. This seems to occur 9 out of 10 journeys and happens about three miles south of Beckhampton on the Devizes road. Any offers as to what this might be caused by? I haven't noticed it anywhere else.

Spooky, or what
?

bill

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have had slight problems driving close to the power plants by the channel tunnel works. Havent noticed any lights coming on, but definite power blip, so agree prehaps with the electrical power thing. Also, beware of sheep wearing strange hats.
Andy

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
There have been instances of RF interference causing anti-lock brakes to operate / not operate on cars (an autobahn in Germany, I believe.)

Also there was an article in the Saab Driver magazine about - if I recall correctly - an immobiliser not working properly - locking out the occupant - due to a 'phone mast nearby.

So these things do happen.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks people, I am slightly reassured . The sheep wear hats further south on Salibury Plain and have taken to firing live ammunition, ditto the trees. My dogs find this confusing when they cock their legs and the trees move. Is this off topic ?

bill

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Chuckle..!

From the description it's does appear that some form of radio interference is occurring in the locality where the phenomena is experienced!

Not familiar with the area ('3 miles south of Beckhampton...'). If this is a rural area any radio mast, microwave dish or other radio transmitter should be fairly apparent if you stop and take a look around.

TETRA radio transmitters have interfered with poor quality 'wideband' car alarm 'receivers' in the 433 MHz band, which can cause the car alarm to 'block' access as it assumes someone is trying to tamper with the system. Never heard of any other form of interference with car ECU systems though. All car systems installed at manufacturer must pass rigid EMC (Electrical emission and immunity) testing before being 'E' Marked for Type Approval and placing on the EU market - and this applied several years before 1989.

Can't wait until 'fly by wire' car systems are widely produced though, and start to go 'strangely out of control'

If the problem is EMC related, check that the ECU casing is well earthed (no loose 'earth bonding' connectors to the car chassis, etc). You can locate all GSM 'Radio Masts' and their RF output power levels on the UK RA web site: http://www.radio.gov.uk/ (NB: click on 'SIGHTFINDER' link, top left hand corner)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paul and others, thanks for the comprehensive and helpful reply. There are a couple of very large masts on the downs within a couple of miles of the road although I haven't found them on the web-site you mentioned.....scary web-site though. I'll check earths etc this weekend if the monsoon hasn't struck.

Couldn't agree more about the way cars will mysteriously fail as electronics are interfered with by dodgy transmitters, not to mention software bugs and decayed wiring, insulation, earthing etc.

m'learned friends will doubtless have a field day in a few years time and our insurance premiums will go up as the accidents pile up. "It wasn't me, honest, it was the abs, esp, drive by wire, sas, kgb, mgbgt" .....etc.

cheers,

bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts