Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience of one or both lights flashing once after normal startup sequence?

On three occasions recently the lights on my '96 CDE have blinked once (as far as I know). Each time I was doing something different so there doesn't seem to be a common 'situation' that causes this.

A search here suggests that, if I am not getting a full fault code sequence, just disconnecting the battery for ten minutes should clear it. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since posting this query I noticed one occasion when 'check Radiator' came on as I went round a left hand corner. Is there a coolant level sensor located in the header tank which could have been actuated by the movement?

The level looked OK between Min and Max but I added a pint of water and haven't seen the light since. I assume the minor antifreeze dilution will not be a problem at this time of year!

If it comes back I think I will get the SAAB dealer who serviced it to check the electronics with their sophisticated gizmo.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Togg:
[qb]Is there a coolant level sensor located in the header tank which could have been actuated by the movement? ... I assume the minor antifreeze dilution will not be a problem at this time of year! [/qb][/b]
Yes... and maybe yes... apart from offering protecting against freezing, which is a secondary purpose in the UK, the main point of "antifreeze" is to act as a corrosion inhibitor, especially with aluminium heads and iron blocks that generate electrolytic erosion. If the solution gets too weak, then the metal gets eaten away. This is most noticeable on the head, and can leads to gasket failure.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that Mark E.

I see that the coolant capacity for 4cyl. engines is 9 litres so I hope my dilution/addition will not prove to be too much! If I do have to top up again I will use antifreeze mixture.

If the drop in level was the cause of the light activation, the next question is whether losing a pint or so of coolant in the six months since my full service is particularly significant?

I suppose I have been guilty of not doing basic checks often enough but, if the level is between the Min and Max lines, there is not much more one can do, except to start marking the outside of the header tank to try and detect changes in level. The temperature gauge has never gone higher than midway (9 o'clock) even after a motorway run at slightly illegal speeds (it was the following wind Officer!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts