Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car hates me! I have recently had the tracking adjusted, changed some bushes and this weekend gave it a good polish and thoroughly cleaned the engine bay.

My reward? Check engine light came on this morning and it's clearly down on power. I was struggling to get the fuel bar gauge as high as 25 to 30mpg to maintain 60 to 70mph. I first noticed the power reduction on Friday when I was not exactly zipping past a Fiesta.

I'll pull the codes later, (it's a 1992) but am I right in thinking that I am now in safe mode and hence running "boost for girls" with a default fuel map while the ECU has the Check Engine fault flag raised?

David.

·
Registered
42 Posts
David, must be something to do with the polish !!. Having done mine at weekend, now have check engine light and a confirmed dead oxygen sensor....... have attached slow moving vehicle sign to car until i can get it in to be sorted. You have my sympathies

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gonzo, what polish did you use? I used Meguiars this time but I have the solution!

I just drove to the local car bits shop to buy the obligatory switch, LED, cables and connectors and immediately upon restarting the car (having spent money), the check engine light went out as normal and I was once again able to out accelerate a Fiesta off a junction round a roundabout.

Is the fault code going to be stored for retrieval or has it gone completely? I'd be interested to pull the code to see what it thinks the problem was.

Rhino, I did think about the obvious loose connectors but when i pulled over this morning it was raining and I did what the light on the dash said, I duly checked the engine, there was one under the bonnet which appeared to be working (to a point) so I carried on.

I'll play a little later.

David.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well having now put the boost gauge in, I can also report a shade over 0.6 bar boost from this LPT. At least I know what the difference is with the 3 washers that someone kindly put between the actuator and the mounting bracket.

Still haven't got round to dumping this mornings fault code.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
A bit like these 3 washers??

Just visible above the water and oil lines.

These are here as the wastegate rod is well siezed

also, the R clip is dead so a kids toy axle press stud is in use.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
David,

I did and it was from memory about 0.5psi per washer (I think I commented on the washer to boost ratio in one of the old posts).

I had to do this to try and cure some boost surging between 2500 and 3000 rpm, and reset the base boost to normal after fitting the 3" JT downpipe.

bas boost is now about 7.5psi, and some surging was removed by opening out the airbox.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok back to the check engine light. The car in question is a 1992 9000t and according to the stuff at Swedishwrench, I should be able to get the code by plugging into the diagnostic socket, only there doesn't seem to be the female part of the spade connector there for any of the spade connectors.

Are they just very deep or is there something else that I'm missing here??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.