Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could do with a bit of advice on this. It's showing a "2 flash" error - which I understand is an error with the MAP sensor. This has just happened today so I'm a bit wary of driving further - but bad news, got a trip home to Scotland on Tuesday (am in exile in Bristol at the moment).

Car is a 96 MY 2.0 ECO, only mod I can think might have any effect is Abbott ECU mod. Car seems to be running fine and plenty of
on tap.

Can anyone tell me what the MAP sensor is/what it senses ? And what's the likely problem or cost of putting right whatever's gone wrong ?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Mark,

If you've not long fitted your Abbott unit, it might be an adjustment/settling in issue. Disconnect the battery for about 20 mins, the take it out for an adaptation run. It might clear on it's own.

If it is a MAP sensor problem, I wouldn't worry too much about it for the journey- just keep an eye on the boost gauge and try to keep it clear of the red at lower revs, and within the orange at higher and you should be OK.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally, fantastic. It's a totally different car. I had a new dump valve, filter and ECU mod done by Abbott (& join the Saab Owners Club first - he'll give you a discount and the membership will pay for itself).

It's not in my view about absolute power. There are other mods out there (Maptun & Speedparts - see other postings on this site) that will give more impressive headline figures and Abbott are criticised for being relatively expensive bangs for buck.

But what I wanted, on an otherwise standard 96 2.0 eco was more power and torque that it could easily handle and not be in danger of totalling the gearbox/clutch etc. There is tons more
and now, economy when driven sensibly improves a little as there's less need to keep the right foot down (especially on quick roads). And from a customer service point of view I've been very pleased with Abbott.

I don't think you'd go wrong with Maptun or Speedparts, personally my Abbott mod has been great. But whichever you go for you really won't regret it. It's like chalk and cheese and though I don't know what it'd cost you to get done in Ireland (say hello to Donegal for me), in my opinion it was the best £600 I've ever spent.

And if you can, run it on 97 octane unleaded...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Cheers for that, definitly sounds worthwhile Im sure theres bound to be some companies here in ireland that would be able to sort me out with that mod. Will ask around and see what I can find!. Changing euros to sterling wouldnt really be a great idea right now.

Although my car is getting on a bit, its still going good and it would be great to get a bit more
out of it. Im more determined after hearing your view on it!.

As for donegal I spent a good few years there (letterkenny) its a great I still go back as much as possible. Its just a pity about the weather up there .

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent. You won't regret it. Aranmore forever !
(sort of Dungloe - ish way and off the coast). If I get the cash I'll go over to see the relatives again. Half empty roads - perfect for tanking the SAAB and tons of
to pass the odd tractor & bus !

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hey Mark R,

Ive got friends up there in dungloe lots of straight bumpy roads in the middle of nowhere....
Just need to know where all the major pot holes/bumps in order to avoid going fully airbourne!. The last time I ventured up there it was an expierence and a half driving for miles without seeing civilisation!.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts