Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh dear. Another problem.

I just fitted a new fuel pump, filter and relay two days ago. Had two days of fine motoring.
Now, as I was driving home the engine felt like it was losing power. I then noticed that the ‘check engine’ light was lit. I limped home and switched off and then turned on the ignition. The ‘check engine’ light flashes four times. After that I disconnected the battery for a while then reconnected, started up fine with no flashing lights. A while after that I went for a drive down the road and it started to display the same symptoms. Then the light came back on.
Since my car is a 1990 2.0 Turbo with Bosch LH with DI, (auto) I take it that this indicates that there is a problem with the knock sensor?
Where exactly is the knock sensor? I have looked in the Haynes manual but as usual was no use. (is there a decent shop manual for these cars?)
Anyway, does this sound like a dodgy knock sensor? Lack of power, threatening to stall on acceleration?

Starting to lose patience with this car.

Thanks, Billy.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
The knock sensor is located on the back of the engine. Someone else has recently reported this problem so doing a search for knock sensor in the 9000 area should find it.

Once the check engine light has come on the engine goes into a default ingition pattern which is designed to get you home but the car will not drive well at all.

Steve

·
Registered
125 Posts
My '96 2.0 LPT check engine light came on after I had parked up for a few minutes and left the engine running (it was raining hard). I counted four flashes and have found that this is linked to the coolant temperature sensor. I too disconected the battery and the light went off. However, I went for a long run with it, but the light did not come back on. I guess I shall leave it now until it does come back on. Strange, maybe it came on because the temp rose a bit higher than normal operating conditions temp?Will leave it idle again to see if it comes back on.
Just my 2 cents worth!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Agree with the ECU stuff. What I was getting at (somehow!) was the fact that my check engine light was put off by disconnecting the battery and so far has not come back on. I just thought I would mention it. It sounds a bit strange to me that there was a problem and then it went away without any repairs!!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
unfortunately all of these problems are probably down to electrical bad connections
As you know these cars have relatively sophisticated ungine management systems and rely on lots of sensors round the engine
now as these cars get older, the connections to these sensors get old moisture gets in ,and hey presto a dodgy connection and an check engine light comes on..
I would go round the connections and clean them up as best you can...

good luck !!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.