Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After fitting a new front engine mount and belt tensioner, the check engine light came on whilst driving home (pure coincidence obviously!!). As it did not reappear when I next drove, I ignored it. Tonight, however, I noticed that I get 6 flashes if I wait a while. From previous posts, this seems to indicate a lambda sonde problem (1994 FPT, trionic). Is it safe to assume that I can just replace the lambda sonde and carry on, or are further diagnostic checks recommended. Also, do I have to reset the check engine light control brain, if so, how? Can I run the car for a couple of days with risking any further problems or damage?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Mark
Had the same problem with mine. Cured in the end by fitting changing the Lambda/Oxygen sensor.
Got a universal one fitted as an emergency measure, but it didn't like that . Fitted a genuine one in the end

cheers
wayne

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. Am I correct in thinking that the "Check Engine" light will still flash 6 times after fitting a new sensor, until the brain is reset by a dealer/other person with a suitable computer?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had the local expert plug in the diagnostic computer, and the lambda sonde actually is working OK. The fault code has been deleted, and I'm going to carry on driving until it happens again. Poltergeist in the system perhaps, or a precursor of expense. No doubt I'll find oiut soon enough.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Mark,

You could try giving the sensor a clean- one of the ways of doing this is to take it out and heat it until it's glowing red with a blow torch, thereby helping to burn off any unwanted deposits- contamination is a major source of lambda failure.

FYI, current list price for a Saab lambda sensor is £229!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts