Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I am the very proud owner of a 1992 CS Carlsson with 120K on the clock. Yesterday afternoon, got in the car, started it but the check engine light remained on. Stopped and started it again, but still it stayed on. Drove home cautiously some 6 miles but the car felt perfectly OK. Stopped to buy a paper,started it again, it stayed on again, but after about 150 YARDS it went off and has been off ever since and I've been out in it all day today. Should I ignore it/panic/cry/re-mortgage the house or could there be a dodgy connection somewhere and if so, where should I look. By the way, what does check engine indicate, because the owners handbook says it could be a fuel injection or ignition system problem with reduced performance. Mine felt OK, but I didn't actually thrash it. I look forward to all your suggestions.
Cheers

·
Registered
435 Posts
DeeVee

You need to turn on the ignition & wait 10 seconds. The check engine then flashes a number of times to tell you where the fault is. There is a thread somewhere which tells you what each of the flashes means - I'm sure someone will find the link

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Unfortunately being a '92 it won't be Trionic, so the flash codes listed are no use

I'm afraid I can't remember whether it's possible to glean any other clues without undergoing ISAT/Tech II interrogation.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think non-trionic cars do have a similar error code system. My '93 (I believe this is not trionic?) has occasional engine check problems and once I managed to get 4 flashes out of it. However, normally it gives no code despite having the check light on when I stop the engine.
I suspect the codes are the same as (from the link above) 4 flashes is a temp sensor and my car does have a problem as the engine warms up in cold weather.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks chaps for your replies so far. The 'check engine' light has NEVER flashed a code of any sort. By the way, since the little problem last Sunday, It's been absolutely fine ever since. But I'd still like some hints or ideas as to what was causing it on Sunday.
Keep on SAABing

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
When my '88 9000T reached higher mileage - 120,000 I had the error message flash up at me after a long run up the A1 to Yorkshire. As I was starting a new job and miles from home it alarmed me but went off when car re-started and the car was running fine. Over the next two years or so with mileage increasing to 174,000 when I retired it, the check engine light winked at me fairly regularly, usually after motorway runs when quite hot. Never felt a drop in performance and as car was running well I ignored. I am not suggesting you ignore if it re-occurs but from my experience it never caused me a problem and I put it down to temporary problems with possibly fuel/air mix when hot - not sure. I did find a list of codes on a US site somehwere and printed them off and could scan them or find US site address if that would help?

Mike

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mike,

I would love to see this list of error codes as I have a MY 90 turbo that flashes the check engine light at me 3 times and I can't find any info on this. All referneces seem to be for the later system.

thanks

Rob

·
Registered
403 Posts
Here you go:

2 flashes - MAP sensor
3 flashes - Intake air temperature sensor
4 flashes - Coolant temperature sensor
5 flashes - Throttle position sensor
6 flashes - Oxygen sensor (lambda probe)
7 flashes - Fuel-air mixture
8 flashes - EVAP valve

Damo

This is for the later trionic not apc/di version afaik.

·
Registered
203 Posts
As mentioned earlier it is definitely worth disconnecting the battery for a short while and then reconnecting it. When I took my fuel pump out to check it and refit the check engine light came on and flashed when I started the car. Did the battery thing and it has disappeared again.

(Have since fitted a new pump, no problems or check engine lights )

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by RobS:
[qb]Does anyone have the same details for the apc /di system? [/qb][/b]
DI/APC flash codes:

2 flashes - ROM check (check sum check)
3 flashes - Watchdog (control module fault). This fault can also be caused by a defective spark plug or defective ignition discharge module.
4 flashes - Knock sensor (no signal or signal incorrect)
5 flashes - Engine load signal from LH or pressure from the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor incorrect.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
A "watchdog" circuit, in computing terms, is one that is designed to take action if the system appears to have stopped behaving normally. It seems there is such a circuit inside the DI/APC module, and this would be normal for such an application.

"Watchdog (control module fault)" means the control module has encountered an internal error, resulting in the watchdog circuit restarting the unit. It is intended to be a safeguard against unforseen faults within the unit, but it seems Saab has found that there are also some external faults that can trigger this condition.

I'd attend to any possible external causes (DI and spark plugs) before worrying about a faulty ECU.

·
Registered
208 Posts
So can anyone confirm my '93 2.0 LPT is APC/DI not trionic? How do I tell for sure?

Assuming it is, it looks like I have an occasional knock sensor problem as I once managed to get 4 flashes from it.

Symptoms I have are:
- Occasional lumpyness or lack of power when accelerating at mid revs.
- When cold outside and the engine is warming up (been running about 5 minutes) it often loses almost all its power at low revs. (but no problem with stalling) This only last about 20 seconds then it is fine again.
- check light comes on occasionally. Both when warm and sitting at tickover and while cruising at a constant high speed. Accelerating hard then slowing down tends to make the light go out again.

Does any of this make sense for a knock sensor problem or do I have to look further?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Toby,

The easy way to tell is to check whether or not the car has an air mass meter (AMM)or a MAP sensor.

AMM- LH/APC
MAP- Trionic

The AMM is mounted in the intake tube on the LHS of the engine compartment, and is about 4" long and 3" in diameter.

The MAP sensor is mounted on the removable bulkhead in front of the steering wheel (RHD models) and has a small tube going from it to the intake manifold.

HTH

[edit]
To avoid confusion, I've called it LH/APC- because that is the correct system description, using a Bosch LH fuelling system and a separate APC box.

Trionic combined the functionality of both in to one ECU.

DI rails are used with both LH/APC and Trionic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.