Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A 1992 SAAB 9000CDXS,THE CHECK ENG LIGHT IS ON CONTINUALLY BUT FLASHES IN BANKS OF THREE,WHEN THE THROTTLE IS DEPRESSED THE LIGHT REMAINS LIT BUT DOES NOT FLASH,AND WHEN THE THROTTLE IS RELEASED THE LIGHT GOES BACK TO FLASHING THREE TIMES,CAN ANYONE HELP WITH ANY INFO THAT WOULD LEAD TO A SOLUTION

·
Registered
8 Posts
On 1990 2.o DI Turbos, the number of times the check engine light flashed cooresponded to the following warnings (from memory):
2 = ROM Fault
3 = Watchdog ECU
4 = Knock Sensor
5 = Pressure Transducer
I've seen 4 and 5, and it was accurate in bost cases.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Check Engine light ... why oh why oh why did SAAB make this such a source of worry and contention for us owners ...

There are two basic types of "check engine" diagnostics - those based on the Bosch LH-Jetronic /EZK ignition system, and those based on the SAAB Trionic system.

The Bosch ones are well documented, and a good book is by Robert Bently (on the 900 16V ...). See http://auto.msk/ru.rus.htm/lh24cod.htm for some info, though sadly in Russian, has a diagram of the LH diagnostic socket. You need to make up a test lead to extractthe fault codes.

The Trionic ones are harder to find. (You have a trionic system if you have the direct ignition modules, i.e. no dizzy). However - I found the following info on another Q+A site:

"... the Trionic engine management system does provide some indication to the driver through the check engine lamp by flashing. Turn the ignition key on. After about 6 seconds, the check engine lamp goes out for a moment before lighting for three seconds. And after that, it flashes if the Trionic is trying to tell you something. Normally it just goes out without flashing.2 flashes MAP(manifold absolute pressure) sensor3 flashes intake air temperature sensor4 flashes engine coolant tenperature sensor5 flashes throttle position sensor6 flashes oxygen sensor7 flashes adaptation (what?)8 flashes evap canister purge valve9 flashes control module, internal faultOf course the technician at the dealership can get a different set of codes using ISAT and likely more precisely tells what the problem is. The source where I get the above information from (section 1:5 diagnosis and fault tracing) further refers the number of flashes to section 2:7 of the shop manual for more detailed diagnosis. "

What would be REALLY useful would be to collect the info on "check engine" and post it somewhere as readily accessible information. There are countless messages on various mail groups begging for help to fix their SAAB's with "check engine" lights lit ! I'm sure lots of people really know the answers properly.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Mark,

Not sure that all the DI equipped cars have Trionic control. My 1990 Carlsson has DI but Bosch LH2.4 and DI/APC ignition control unit. Trionic combined the DI/APC unit and the fuel ECU unit into one. Came around 1991-2 I think whilst DI came around 1985ish
Have you tried this web site:
http://www.townsendimports.com/
very useful for tech information.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Further to Mark's message - I shall speak to my contacts within Saab to see if I can get an explanation of the Check Engine light.
/john

1 - 7 of 7 Posts