Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi People
I went overseas to Hong Kong recently and saw a Saab 1994 CDE 9000 forsale i just could not pass. I was so so cheap like works out to be around 500 english pounds taking in consideration of exchange rates. I live in Australia now i have to just find a way to get it here.

However when I brought this car I saw a turbo badge on it without realising there is a Full and Light Pressure Turbo and this happened to be the Light one which was a bummer.

I want to make modifications to the car to get at least the same amount of power as the FTP engine. Hopefully get 170 - 220bhp out of the car.

My understanding of the difference between the LTP and the FTP is just the difference in boost pressure and no APC in the LTP.

So now my question:
Like on saab900.com, can I change the boost pressure on the LPT remembering it doesn't have an APC. Will this work or will it stress out the engine too much. Does 1 bar or maybe a tad more sound too much for the car and engine? Do I need an APC, if so where can i get one from? There is no APC gauge on the dashboard, will that matter? Or should I get a aftermarket gauge and stick it somewhere and make the car look ugly?
And For a person who knows nothing about the mechanics of a car let alone a Saab, will following the pictures on the saab9000.com site work or will I do something stupid and kill the car? If so could any mechanic at the service station change the boost settings.

Im thinking thats the cheapest way to get some extra power but how about a aftermarket ECU, I heard you get some good power out of them too but they do cost when changing the boost pressure probably wont.

Oh and whoever made the saab9000.com site is a bloody legend!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is my first post, i will be using this site a lot to get to know more about my 9000. thankyour for reading through all my [expletive deleted].

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hi Fred and Welcome to Saabscene

Upgrading the LPT to FPT is quite easy, but for maximum longevity and reliability, I would recommend that you stick to using a professionally remapped ECU rather than trying to con the system.

As it's an LPT, your car will either have an intercooler or an APC solenoid (I can't remember the MY differences, and it may be different again for models outside the UK).

To make an FPT conversion, you need both, plus remapped software. You can either choose to find an ECU from an FPT, or have your existing one re-mapped.

If you try to mechanically increase the boost, then you will soon hit overboost protection, and you run the risk of pre-ignition in the summer if you don't have an intercooler.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hey fred,
which part of Oz you from?
there is an Abbott (well a place that sells abbott stuff) place in Melbourne, and a Maptun place in the ACT.
Take a pick of the two ( I have talked to the people in the Abbott reseller... and it makes me want to pick Maptun WHEN i get a Trionic ECU
)
Take a look at the approriate websites of Abbott and Mapyun, and make a decision from there, but also make sure to ask for the local prices.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankyou for your hele people. Am in brisbane at the moment but Saab Australia is reluctant to give me a letter of compliance for the car so i may have some trouble trying to ship the car into the country. However if I do, from the feedback on the forum, it sounds like I have to get either a ECU from a FPT, or get maptun to remap the ECU (think thats how it works) to get more power. That does make sense. However if it has an intercooler, do I still need an APC or Will it work without one. Do I need a gauge? If so, any ideas how to get a gauge and make it not stand out so much because the inside is rather luxurious and not like a Japanese JZ Supra.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote from saabscene staff
If you try to mechanically increase the boost, then you will soon hit overboost protection, and you run the risk of pre-ignition in the summer if you don't have an intercooler.

Will it work if it does have an intercooler? Even like a tad bit more pressure?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Did a bit more digging, and the info I've found suggests that 2.3LPTs weren't available until 96

Can you confirm whether you have an intercooler or APC solenoid

You don't need a gauge, but the plumbing is there to fit one if you want.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]Did a bit more digging, and the info I've found suggests that 2.3LPTs weren't available until 96   [/qb][/b]
This bit of wrong info I think originated from a certain Essex based tuner's website. 2.3l intercooled LPTs were available in the UK from MY94 (I've got one and seen several). I doubt the UK was the only market to get them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Originally posted by fred_plays_bazz:
[qb]Quote from saabscene staff

Will it work if it does have an intercooler? Even like a tad bit more pressure? [/qb][/b]
I think the 2.3 LPT's all came with intercoolers. I could be wrong on this though.

Good luck getting the car imported

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has an intercooler, but saab australia wont give me a letter of compliance so i have to leave it overseas for a year until i can import it =( thats the plan at the moment unless something comes up till then.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
That's a bummer, Fred, after you'd got all excited about it. I'd heard before that Aus has some pretty punitive import duties.

Hey, you could always send it over here; it would be worty a pretty penny, that's for sure

Cheers

James

1 - 11 of 11 Posts