Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Cheap source of Toyo's

Tags
source toyo
5K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Mark in Ireland 
#1 ·
Yep, It's Ebay! Just picked up 2x215/45/17s for £140 inc the carriage.

Bargain!

See less See more
#2 ·
Is that good? I tried a number of the internet tyre retailers for some S-03's, normal Aero size of 205/55/16, then phoned a local tyre fitter.

Local price was £293 for 4, fitted and balanced.

Internet prices

Blackcircles (special offer) £318.44, fitting and balancing extra.

Etyres £390 fitted.

Mytres £317.60, fitting extra.

One of the situations where the Internet hasn't allowed me to get the best deal.

David.

#5 ·
I realise they're different sizes, I was just illustrating that in my case, phoning the local fitter was significantly cheaper than the online suppliers. What prices are they normally, fitted?

Trouble with Ebay that it's not exactly a repeatable source necessarily!

David.

#6 ·
MyTyres are almost always cheaper. But it does depend how much someone will charge you to fit.

Ebay is pretty safe if you deal with someone who has a good rating and hosts an Ebay shop as did this seller. Naturally, you need to tread carefully & never trade outside Ebay.

You got a better deal than normal on SO3's, I reckon.

Anyway, the advice still stands - the price I paid was £11 cheaper than trade. I know as I got the last 4 at cost price.

#9 ·
I wouldnt say £140 for 2 Toyo's in that size is that good a deal.

You then have to get them fitted and Toyo's are by no means a good tyre either, yes if its dry they are fine but in damp conditions they are very dodgy, i ran them on my Impreza after they received rave reviews and removed them very quickly for Avon ZZ3's which where far superior all round.

If your happy then so be it

I have since fitted the Avons to my 04 9-3ss Aero and the car is great as the P Zero's where pants.

Ohh and at £71 each fitted 225/45/17.

Zippy

#10 ·
£140 not a good deal for two 215/45/17 Toyo Proxes?? - well take a look at the price on www.blackcircles.co.uk - £101.10 each

And as for Toyo's not being much cop - i disagree but then again this is all in my humble opinion - ive run them on 3 different vehicles from a small hot hatch to a 270bhp Classic 900 and i have only got good things to say about them - good price, very progressive breakaway and strong grip especially in the wet imho.
Wish i could say ive read the same about ZZ3's - ive got ZZ1's on the missus' Corrado and they're awful

Pete.

#11 ·
£140 for a pair of tyres isn't so bad if it ain't gonna cost a penny to fit them and have them balanced.

Personally, I think the Toyo's are too noisy. Still think the deal I got for my Dunlop Sport SP9000's was great.

I paid about the same price but mine were fully fitted. I bought both pairs over a period of 2 months too and they are still hanging about the same price. Northway Tyres and Just Tyres still have 'em, but may vary in different regions.

Y

#12 ·
I always thought the Proxie S1's were brill, but were a bit noisy, but couldn't fault them in all weathers even the snow and slush of the A66 at high speeds. I've since upgraded from cheap Kuhmos to the newer version Proxie T1R and they have transformed my car, its now quiet, grip is amazing and wet weather performance was put to the test at Bruntingthorpe USD and they simply amazed me on how they coped and at £90 a corner fitted and balanced (235/45x17)they are good value in my eyes.
On 900's and 9000's I fully recommend them...YMMV

#13 ·
Ahh Mark you are now talking about TR1 Toyo's which i will agree are good but the T1S where pants, No grip noisy and wear easily.

On my MY01 Impreza running 292BHP the car would power slide out of virtually any corner on the Toyo T1's in damp to wet coditions, when i swapped to Avons the car was transformed.

Also totally agree that ZZ1 Avons where known as ditch finders but the ZZ3 is a world apart.

#14 ·
From comments its obvious type of car has a bearing on suitability to make of tyres, but after fitting T1S's to my last 9000 Carlsson (only 280hp) and 900 Carlsson I was suitably impressed to go for the T1R'S now on my latest 9000 Carlsson and haven't been disappointed. I'd be interested in Ylees comments on his T1's with the hp and torque his car is putting out
over the SO3's he ran earlier as they were, from peoples opinion the tyres to have.

#15 ·
Originally posted by Zippy9-3:
[qb]Ahh Mark you are now talking about TR1 Toyo's which i will agree are good but the T1S where pants, No grip noisy and wear easily.

On my MY01 Impreza running 292BHP the car would power slide out of virtually any corner on the Toyo T1's in damp to wet coditions, when i swapped to Avons the car was transformed.

Also totally agree that ZZ1 Avons where known as ditch finders but the ZZ3 is a world apart. [/qb][/b]
Must have been a very strange 'Preza then. All the UHP tyre comparisons I've seen put the ZZ3's at the bottom of the league table, and the T1-Ss near the top. On the Saabs I've driven, the Toyo's always have been very good (and face it, for the c900 specific size of 195/50/16 you haven't got much choice anyways).

Then again, the R1R's Saabine is running on, are in a different league from all 'regular' road tyres out there (as evidenced by her spectacular wet performance at Bruntingthorpe) and still relatively practical to use as a road tyre. Only thing is, they're on a Japanese type approval and as such not E-marked....

#16 ·
Eric, my car suspension was standard but with 18' wheels and my friends same year car with Prodrive suspension also with 18's handled like a slippery frog on the Toyo T1's.

He is now running his car on the T1R and says they are a world apart and i have driven it very aggresively after he had them fitted and it was way better than before.

Scoobynet raved on about Toyo T1's tyres for months hence why i tried them but now opinions have drastically changed and most Impreza owners tend to go for the Goodyear Eagle F1 or the T1R.

The ZZ3's transformed my Impreza and now also my SAAB,i never read to much into peoples opinions of tyres as most of it is down to the way you drive and each persons perceived 'FEEL' of the car on certain types of tyre.

For me ZZ3's will always be put onto my performance cars until something else arrives.

Zippy

#17 ·
You obviously have a different opinion of them, which is fine - it's a free world.

However, I have had a good experience with mine, as have many people I know outside of the Saab world. General feeling has been dry grip is great, wet performance is excellent, but they can go off after two or three dry laps of being pushed hard on-track. Not eveyone has had this experience, though & I know of one professional racing instructor that has them on his car and loves them.

I have them on both my 900 and 9000 and they get a definate
up!

#18 ·
I had an accident a long while back which I put down to the folly of youth, Corrado VR6s being front-heavy and poor grip, so after that, I've always been a bit anal about having tyres that are excellent in the wet.

Been using proxes on my 9-5 Aero, various Mk2 Golf GTIs and the Mrs. Pug 106 GTI for the last 6 years or so. Great tyre for the money. Only went with Goody F1s recently as MyTyres.net were out of Toyos. evo mag voted the F1s slightly ahead of the T1S - and they usually know what they are talking about.

When I had my Golf habit, I went to one of the GTI International events. Yokohama had a test circuit where the idea was to drive around on your own tyres, then get their wheels on to compare the difference.

It was raining heavily as usual (standard British summer). My friend took his Mk2 out on his Proxes and set the fastest time of the day for a Mk2. He then put the Yoko Ono's on, and promptly demolished more cones than a workaholic ice-cream taster.

Yokos are muck - a given. But after physically seeing how the car cornered on a soaking track, at speeds which I personally lack the testicular fortitude for, I was convinced by the Toyos.

On snow they are useless of course...

#19 ·
Though I think it can very much depend on the type of car tyres are fitted to.

I have Yokohamas on my Elise and they are generally regarded as being better than Toyo's, especially AO48's, which are almost like cut slicks. A tad iffy in the wet, mind, though my Advan Neovas are really good in the wet and in the dry.

#20 ·
Er, UHP road tyres against semi-race, semi-slick tyres - apples, oranges anyone?

Like for like, it's a bit like this (the most 'hardcore' tyres at the top):

----Toyo ------------ Yokohama
Trampio R888 <---> Advan A-038R
Trampio R1R <---> Advan A-048

Proxes T1R <-------> AVS-Sport
Proxes T1S ------- A-539
(phased out)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.