Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi/.
Have just had trionic upgrade, and a replacement auxiliary belt from Abbott, new dump etc.
Before, engine charging 14.0 - 14.2, now charge 13.5 - 13.6. Any ideas please ? Also engine running hotter when pottering about in traffic, roundabouts etc, notice fan on when I park ( I dont mean Im sitting in traffic which would obviously heat it up a lot )

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Did Abbott perhaps leave your interior lights on whilst working on the car? This may discharge the battery, and whilst it still starts the car the alternator won't chuck out as much voltage to charge it up. As my last two batteries have got to the end of their lives they have both acted like this. Try charging off the car.
Problem two. Due to having more power now, are you using it just prior to dawdling (is that right?) in traffic? If so the engine is just getting rid of the built up heat..

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks cdcarlsson,

No, dont think Abbotts left anything on like that, it was ok for first 20-30 miles. they fitted a new auxilliary fan belt too, with the belt rollers bushes. maybe that has bedded in ? maybe something need tightening ?
Andy

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
An alternator puts out about 14.2 volts so you should be seeing somewhere in the high 13s normally. What is more important is the voltage shown on the volt meter after a cold crank... which basically shows how good the battery is... mine took to showing 6.8 after a cold crank and start but was still showing 13.8 when the engine was running

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.