Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the car back today after having the balance shaft chain, timing chain done along with all the associated nick nacks. Went the whole nine yards and got the head gasket done as well (often the head gasket can get damaged if the head shifts during the procedure). It now feels like a new engine, quite tight and not very keen to rev. I need to give it a few 100 miles of driving before I can give it some welly again.

Does anyone who's had this job done already have any advice on how long it takes to run in the new chains and what kind of procedure should I adopt? During the 10 miles back to home today I kept the revs below 2500rpm and tried to use no more than 25% throttle.

Could do with someone organising a meet somewhere in one of the far corners of our green and pleasant land so that I can rack up a few miles proto!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have done or have had done the same as Jason plus,
I also have changed both idler pulleys,oil pump and water pump and a new turbo plus a new pump in the auto box all I have left to pay is £550 labour,mot and Tax.
Now the confusor is working again I will try and sort that Cosford meet.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Nice work, Jase!

I didn't think there's any specific "run in" period for chains. I've had a lot done on mine and the only time I recall having a run in period was after new piston rings.

That said, for peace of mind no more than 3000rpm for the first 100 miles wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Jason (Mr Torque-Steer):
[qb]Could do with someone organising a meet somewhere in one of the far corners of our green and pleasant land so that I can rack up a few miles proto!    [/qb][/b]
Always welcome to come and sample some pubs in Sussex with Me, JezF and cdcarlsson, perhaps Tandino, too?

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]That said, for peace of mind no more than 3000rpm for the first 100 miles wouldn't hurt. [/qb][/b]
Well I asked Paul at WMSS and he said gradually build up for the first 500 miles. So I reckon 3000rpm for the first 100 as you say, then no more than 4000rpm and half throttle until I've passed the 500 mile barrier. Obviously the difficulty with mine is trying to restrain the 2000-3000rpm "megaboost" feature during that time. The engine does feel a little "tight" at the moment in that it's not as quick to rev as before, but I suppose that's to be expected as the worn chains and guides would have made the engine quite loose.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I do not understand why your engine should feel tight after having the chains done. Mine was the opposite, mainly because it was so much smoother that the psychological tendency to use low revs because of the vibration had gone.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Mark B:
[qb]I do not understand why your engine should feel tight after having the chains done.  Mine was the opposite, mainly because it was so much smoother that the psychological tendency to use low revs because of the vibration had gone. [/qb][/b]
Ah, but yours had jumped a tooth IIRC? Mine hadn't. It does feel smoother than it did before, but after a days driving it seems to be getting more "eager to go" with every passing mile.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.