Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test draove a nice 2.0LPT CSE anniversary the other day at County Saab in Ayr, Scotland. ( I wish now that I had bought it; £3,700 ,92k, 6 months warranty etc)
It had a centre arm rest which I've never seen before but which was v. comfy. Can these things be fitted to standard seats? I wasn't quick enough to notice how it's attached, via the centre box thingy I think.
Any one know if yu can buy the rest as a seperate part? Is it leather or PVC ?(seats were leather)

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I'm pretty sure that it is (or at least was) available as an accessory. Probably very expensive though when ordered with the correct cover etc. Better to find a second hand one unless you are very fussy about things matching. It's attached to a bracket arrangement that runs down to the seat runners (if my memory serves). The big drawback is that it prevents you opening the centre storage box thingy properly.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Mark B. you make a good point about the center console not being able to open all the way. I never thought about that. I have a center arm rest for my 9000 sitting in a box ready to get installed, but never got around to it... your point makes me think whether or not i should. It would be really nice to have... but i kinda enjoy my console, now that I got the cup holder/coin tray insert for free (worth about $75 on e-bay) and both items are ultra rare these days. I think I'll stick with my cup holder thing. It's so nice. Wish the c900 had one. Speaking of which - if you check out saablink.net ( a sister site of saabscene) you can see pics and details on my new 1986 SPG. Alright all - i need to remember to post here more often. Peace
~BurnsSide42~

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The centre arm rest makes changing gear awkward, you have to bend your wrist down. I removed mine and sold it for £50 but the post office lost it before the new owner could find out the gear change problems. Probably better on an auto rather than manual.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have one on my auto. I think it is excellent; it is a matter of taste. The restricted access to the centre console doesn't bother me. It can be opened, but not fully.

The armrest does have a frame which goes down the side of the console, so still allowing access to the rear ashtray, and yes, it does seem to be fixed to or near the seat runners, so not part of the seat. I think this frame should have some upholstered cover over part of it, but mine is missing.

The top surface of the armrest is leather ( on my leather upholstered car: it may be cloth on some? )and the sides and lower side are leathercloth / pvc, whatever. a very good match though.

Yes it is an accessory part but as mentioned will be an enormous amount of money new from Saab, if still available.

Harvey

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a grey leather one fitted to my 89 Carlsson, I have the garage get around the opening problem by mounting it a couple of inches further back than normal. Then the arm rest pivots up and so does the cover underneath for the storage box. The guy bolted a small extension of angle iron to the mounting holes and moved the mounting of the armrest backwards along it until the cover could open.

Been there ever since and works a treat and is in the right position for gear changing. Don't know who designed the original mounting but he must have had a bad day !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.