Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ‘96 CS has recently developed a central locking fault, namely the rear left door lock is no longer synchronised. I was pretty sure that the problem was with the motorised actuator, current went in but nothing happened. After a three figure quote from my SMD I thought I might try a repair. Now, a while back DaveS mentioned a replacement motor from Maplin for under a tenner (sounded more like it), so I removed the actuator and Stanley knifed my way in, revealing a few cogs and a blackened motor………Does anyone have any more info on this replacement motor or should I just wait for a complete actuator to materialise on eBay?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought replacement actuators for my passenger side doors from Maplin a couple weeks ago, I havent gotten round to fitting them yet but the screw holes seem to match up ok with the Saab actuator, so fitting shouldnt bee a problem - there are a couple of good posts on the forum describing the process.

The Maplin part number for the 2 wire actuator is YD79L it costs £8. They also have a 5 wire variant which I think is only needed for the drivers door. You can find both by doing a prduct search for 'central locking'

HTH & good luck with the DIY - esp. getting the interior door panel back on ok!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nicnac, the actuator you are describing is what Maplin sell- it's a direct replacement, just screw it in, hook up the control rod and connect the two wires.

If you connect it wrongly, it'll just work in reverse, so test it before you replace the door trim!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm going to piggyback a question onto this topic, if I may.

I recently had my central locking malfunction. I went to unlock the car the other day, and only the driver's door unlocked. I realized that the fuse had blown, so I replaced it. Then, all the doors except the passenger door worked fine. That is to say, if I lock or unlock using the key in the driver's door or from the central locking button, all doors except the passenger door behave correctly. If I lock or unlock from the passenger door, then all doors work (since the passenger door is being locked/unlocked manually). The passenger door can also be locked/unlocked by pushing/pulling the lock button itself.

My assumption here is that the lock motor/actuator has died, and that the lock mechanism itself is fine.

With all that said, I have read other posts that said that only the key in the driver's door will lock/unlock all doors, and using the key in the passenger door will only lock/unlock that door.

Now for the questions:
<ul type="square">
[*]Is my car strange, or do others' behave this way? (Unlock all from pass. side)
[*]If I were to replace the passenger door lock motor/actuator, would I need a driver's door spec unit?
[/list]

Unfortunately, being in the US, I do not have access to the generic unit from Maplin, and I don't know if a similar unit is sold here. However, there are a couple of motors (driver's side and other) on eBay at the moment, so that may work.

Sorry for the verbosity - I wanted to make sure the situation was adequately described.

Thanks,

mike

1993 9K CDE, n/a auto
158K+ miles

·
Registered
552 Posts
Mike, I've just been out to check and on an '89 UK spec car, the passenger door lock won't operate the central locking.

If you take the door trim off, the actuator should have 2 wires going into it. If it has, either the actuator is shorting internally or the ECU has a fault. Have a look on the Townsend Saab site for a good fault-finding procedure.

Good luck!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Ah, that's unfortunate - doubly so, as Townsend only covers models up to '93.

Presumably they changed the set-up about that time. It sounds like both front doors have a 5-wire actuator then.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes, that's my guess, that both front doors have the 5-wire actuator. I was hoping to get a definitive answer without having to take things apart. The more times I take something apart, the more chances I have to mess it up!

At any rate, the motors on eBay are still pretty cheap; maybe I'll pick up one of each.

Thanks again,

mike

1993 9000 CDE, n/a auto
158K+ miles

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
9000's up to around 1992 have central locking that is only active from the drivers door/lock. This door does not have an actuator as standard unless a remote alarm with central locking feature has been added (and then an actuator will have been too).

from around 1992 (cs's) saab converted to using negative command protocol central locking.These will lock and unlock from either front door. Both front doors have actuator, and more importantly for identification, can be locked and unloacked from a rocker switch on the window switch panel.

The older system needed the drivers door lock to pressed down to lock the car while in it.

Andrew

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for the advice and extra info.

But I think I must have fallen off my mountain bike once to often, so just to clarify, the £8 Maplin part should resemble picture 'a' the whole component, or 'b' the motor inside the component?

·
Registered
134 Posts
When I removed the drivers side door card (in order to disconnect the mirror wiring and replace the mirror). I found that I had TWO actuators fot the central locking within.
The standard Saab one, unlocks all the doors when the key is turned (passenger side doesn't). And one bolted to the bottom of the door frame directly beneath it, with a connecting rod to the Saab unit. It has two wires leading to it which disappear through the door and into the car, found that these were no longer connected from the door opening and shuting, reconnected them and lo and behold my alarm fob now operates the doors!!
Is this the usual installation for remote cental locking? A strange aftermarket fitment or is it not possible to trigger the central locking without the drivers door being opened first?
Just goes to show you can never be sure what you've got behind those door covers. Anyone could've been in there unless you're owner number 1.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.