Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Saab 9000 CS. When I press the central locking button on the central console next to electric mirror buttons. I hear a drilling sound. the doors lock but after this loud noise. When i lock the door from drivers side I hea same noise. If i lock car from passenger side door i hear no noise. The noise lasts for about 2-3 secs.

Any ideas what this loud drilling noise is??

Is it costly to repair??

thanks Yasman

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
I had the same problem on my classic 900. I presumed this to be an oscillating solenoid/central locking motor. Since the door still locked I did not bother about fixing it. It never failed to lock - I just got the 2-3 seconds of drr-drr-drr-drr as it locked. This only affected one door.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
When I press the central locking button on the central console next to electric mirror buttons. I hear a drilling sound. the doors lock but after this loud noise. When i lock the door from drivers side I hea same noise. If i lock car from passenger side door i hear no noise.[/b]
It would appear, then, that the passenger door central locking motor is at fault.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
>>i lock car from passenger side door i hear no noise.

Yasman,
Following John's logic, I assume that the noise does not occur when you lock car using passenger side because the mechanism is being directly turned mechanically via the key.

But when locked via drivers side, the passenger door motor has to come into direct play - hence the noice.

On this basis, I concur that the passenger door motor is likely to be the cause.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PaulD your a genius. I never thought of it like that!!!

Does anyone know how much it costs to repair/fix...Should i even fix it seeing that it is still working? or is the noise a warning to fix it before it breaks?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Yasman:
[qb]John are u having a laugh...how can it be passenger motor??? Surely the drivvers side!!
[/qb][/b]
Nope.

Originally posted by Paul D:
[qb]Yasman,
Following John's logic, I assume that the noise does not occur when you lock car using passenger side  because  the mechanism is being directly turned mechanically via the key.

But when locked via drivers side, the passenger door motor has to come into direct play - hence the noice.

On this basis, I concur that the passenger door motor is likely to be the cause.[/qb][/b]
Spot on!

[qb]Does anyone know how much it costs to repair/fix...Should i even fix it seeing that it is still working? or is the noise a warning to fix it before it breaks?
  [/qb][/b]
Mine worked fine for more than a year after it started (I sold it in the same condition and it did not worry the buyer)

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
[qb]can it still be the passenger motor if the noise is coming from the opposite side.
[/qb][/b]
Well, this would seem unlikely. I suggest that the problem exists with the c/l motor from where the noise is coming from.

If you say it is the driver's door, then I would say that the action of unlocking/locking via the passenger door should not affect this, for the reasons that Paul D has already stated.

On the classic 900, there was no central locking motor in the driver's door (cost cutting) so you had to lock/unlock with the key or have a c/l motor installed when having a remote alarm fitted. I daresay that the c/l motor does exist in the 9000.

What you say does not square with the descriptions that you have already given. Suggest you get a some one to lock/unlock using the button whilst you go around the car with your ear to each door in order to determine exactly which door is at fault.

HTH

/john

·
Registered
126 Posts
Originally posted by /john:
[qb] QUOTE
[qb]can it still be the passenger motor if the noise is coming from the opposite side.
[/qb][/b]
On the classic 900, there was no central locking motor in the driver's door (cost cutting) so you had to lock/unlock with the key or have a c/l motor installed when having a remote alarm fitted. I daresay that the c/l motor does exist in the 9000.

/john[/qb][/b][/quote]I have to add, I had no locking motor on drivers door of my 1992'CS as well, thus 900/9000 is not a criteria. I had to buy this costly piece of [expletive deleted] when I had the alarm fitted .

P.S. Costs ~£40 if SAAB, and about 1/2 if NONAME, here. ( I had put noname in, because I spent ~£200 for alarm at that moment already)

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
The easiest way to check which central locking solenoid is causing the problem is to disconnect the wiring on each door (where the wiring goes into the pillar) in turn and then operate the central locking,when the noise disapears you know which door is at fault

1 - 11 of 11 Posts