Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Griffin with a rear door central locking unit that sounds like a machine gun - yet still locks and unlocks the door. Before I get stuck into the door trim, is this a classic case of ??? and should I approach the job in a certain way? I have fitted solenoid central locking units on other cars in the past, however aren't these units pneumatic?

thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi

I had the same problem with my 9k, every time I locked the car I would have the same noise. After stripping the door down I found the motor was a sealed unit, and fearing the price of a new one from SAAB I left it. Until a member recently told us that you are able to buy motors from MAPLIN ELECTRONICS, For around £15. The motor fits perfectly and works great. I believe MAPLIN have a website and the motor can be bought on-line. If memory serves me right, it is the 2 wire motor.

Hope this Helps

Paul

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I must confess I haven't stripped the trim off my 9k Griffin. Is it hard to remove the trim - I have that piece of wood-like trim across the top (if that has any bearing). any tips for getting the trim off without permanent reminders of the job? Cheers

·
Registered
69 Posts
After removing all the handles and removing the screws that hold the pocket and door release on, the bottom of the trim should just 'pop' out, once this has happened the trim can then be lifted over the locking button, and off. The wood trim is attached to the door panel trim and is removed with the door trim.

Hope this helps

Paul

·
Registered
246 Posts
There is a slight rattle on the central locking of one of my rear doors as well, I wouldn't call it machine gun firing though. I visted the MAPLIN site and found the product. The motor suggested by Paul is £7.99 inclusive of VAT. That seems a very good price to fix it. Until now I thought investing in Saab parts to fix it was something I could do without. But with such a small price to pay I am inclined to try.

AS suggested taking off the trim seems a very easy job. What I am wondering is, when I fit it back will it still seem like the original fit? I have never done this before. What I don't want to do is spoil the look of the trim to fix a small noise. Bit nervous here. Any thoughts?

BTW, mine is a 97 CSE not a saloon like trollfan's Griffin.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI neel, I am pretty certain that the doors on the CS and the CD are the same, so I wouldn't expect any suprises in that respect. Thanks alot for the help gents - Paul your advice is greatly appreciated!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.