Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I have a '91 Turbo Sabb 9000, and my parents who previously owned it spilled coke in the tape player causing it to not work :-( The radio and amp system still work however. Anyway, I was thinking of installing a CD player (better than tape anyway) and am wondering if anyone cant point in the direction of a how-to guide, or recomend a good CD player.
Thanks,
-Matt

·
Registered
945 Posts
Just go down halfords, pick up a Saab 9000 car stereo adapter enabling yopu to in stall any ISO (i.e. modern stereo) straight in with just a lug to push together. As for stereos I once put a Pioneer tape/6 CD changer with the changer in the glovebox and a small hole pierced at the back of the glovebox to enable direct connection to the battery and it took me about 45 mins to fit. 9000's are a pleasure to install after market stereos too because getting to things is so easy i.e. getting through the bulkhead.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Halfords! As for where to buy your stereo equipment, I bought a In Car Hi Fi Magazine vfrom my newsagents and it was one of thje best £3.00 I have ever spent, it saved me about £150 by buying direct instead of getting ripped off by Halfords...although I can't argue with the free fitting....fitting it yourself is nothing to worry about..and if your not buying a changer just a straight forward head unit it will take you no longer than 15 mins...just like plugging your TV in!

·
Registered
600 Posts
The ISO adaptors are about £10 from halfords. You just plug one end into your existing wiring loom and the other into your new stereo.

I got a blaupunkt (or however you spell it) and have been very happy. Anything by Panasonic/Sony/Kenwood for £150+ would be good, but I would go for a 4 * 40 watt unit, not because i want to go deaf but because it will 'cruise' at reasonable level without distortion

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately, us poor Yankees are Halfords deprived. (At least in Michigan we are) I'll bet the local car stereo shop can order one though , (no free fitting though :-( ) A cheap deal would be nice to find though. Thanks again for all your help. Btw, out of curriousity, how much is gasoline over there right now?

-Matt

·
Registered
657 Posts
I got a JVC CD player from Halfords Christmas '00 for £95.
I didn't opt for the plug adaptor since a previous owner had butchered it anyway.
Despite what the others here say (maybe I'm unlucky when fitting radios in cars) but something nearly always seems to go wrong. After I fitted the JVC the electric aerial, which had been perfect until then, refused to move from 1/2 way position even though the motor could be heard. I dismantled the aerial but could not sort it out so I left it. As usual for me, 1 hour to fix new gadget, 3 hours trying to puzzle out some complication followed by a lifetime of compromise............

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
$3.95? Ouch. I just filled up fo $0.98 per galon today. Quarryeff , thanks for the story, I fell so much more confident about installing it myself. I have a friend who (sorta) sucsefully installed a whole no system in his Bimmer to help me so hopefully I can avoid doing something stupid. (And if not, its the previous owners fault, hehe)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts