Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Harmon Kardon radio cassette head unit and separate single CD player on my '98 aero.
I would like to get a multichanger (I beleive this was an option on this model) without having to buy a complete system (i.e. keep my current head unit).
Is this possible and what makes etc are compatible with the head unit?
If not can anyone recommend a good 'budget' system.
cheers
David

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi!

I have a '97 Aero with the Harmon Kardon head unit aswell. The multichanger is a Clarion 6-stack system, that came as the Saab standard option as a dealer fit accessory.
Im not a boffin with sound systems, but according to Halfords, most makes will fit the head unit (was looking at replacing with 10-stack).

Hope this helps

·
Registered
600 Posts
The guy at Halfords told me that most head units work with maybe 1 or 2 disc changers. The other problem was that even if I hunted around and found a disc changer made by Grundig (in my case) it would be about £300 and I could get a whole new system which could well sound better for the same money. The 9000's don't come pre-wired for a boot changer and running the lead from the head unit seemed a major pain in the bottom, I was'nt convinced about these wireless jobbies.

I got a £200 Blaupunkt single player CD for £150 in a Halfords sale and it sounds very good to me. Everyone seems to rave about Pioneer and Sony units

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have the single CD player, but don't like having to fiddle around to change disks. I'd also like to free up that 2nd DIN slot for some gauges.
Running cables to the boot is no problem whatsoever, but I did have a sneaking feeling that a compatible changer would be as expensive as many complete packages (hence the request for recomendations).
...anyone want to buy my HK ;o)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have two 9000's. both came pre-wired from the factory for the cd changer. You can get a changer on ebay pretty cheap. By the way, on the harmon kardon system you can only have the single player or the disc changer but not both. the wiring for the changer should be in the left rear most corner of the boot just behind the side cargo panel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.