Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 9000 CSE,2.3t 1996, the previous owner had taken out the CD changer...all cabling still in place. Is it possible to get a changer without paying through the nose, or, replace the existing Tape/Radio with another brand with CD. I believe there are complications as the amplifier is under the seat and a striaght swap out is not that simple?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Alun

When I put a radio into the empty hole on my 9000, I went along to Halfords who said they would do the installation for 25 quid.

I watched as the bloke went from the garage to the rack, picked up a prewired set of connecters, plugged it into the car then into the stereo and then charged me 25 quid for the installation plus 10 quid for the wires. I was had.

My suggestion to you is to take a look in Halfords - there will be a flipbook thing on the shelf that will suggest which set of wires you need.

That is if any new wiring is required at all!

good luck

/john

·
Registered
10 Posts
you may well find that the Clarion C-bus autochanger will plug straight in - I can't remember the model but if you want the model number I,ve got one on the back seat of my Saab, I'll look tomorrow. - the plug will have the arrangement as follows

oooo
oooo
oooo
0 (in centre of middle two) The plug is round. Nearly all new Saab 9-5 models use this changer. Saab want £350. Any Clarion dealer around £200. If you want to change the lot, a decent tape head unit and CD changer can be had for around £300

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both. I have looked at Halfords and a decent 4 channel, 40w per ch CD head can be bought for about £180, with free fitting...I must confess that I was a little wary about the installer ripping out the existing unit and finding just cabling to the underseat amp and then scratching his head!!!!!. I will investigate further as this solution is a lot cheaper than £300 for a changer unit for the boot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.