Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a factory fitted audio cable for a CD changer in the CSE? Little birdie told me that although fitted as standard in Sweden, some UK dealers removed this facility to enable extra labour rates to be charged to customers who requested for CD Changers in new cars? Also, where would be the best place to fit a 6 CD changer? Are there any mounting positions/plates imn the boot or elsewhere? Would glovebox mounting be stable enough ?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Originally posted by mutungi:
[QB]Little birdie told me that although fitted as standard in Sweden, some UK dealers removed this facility to enable extra labour rates to be charged to customers who requested for CD Changers in new cars?    [/b]
Conspiracy theorists at work again

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I was told by the dealer that I would need the cable (around £30) and that it isn't hard to fit. Apperently, most of the wiring is there (to one of the rear wheel wells, I think). I'll find out in the next day or two when my changer arrives.

The most popular place to fit one seems to be on the underside of the false floor in the boot, taking up the space in the middle of the spare wheel. Again, that's where my Saab dealer said they would fit one. My '95 CSE has one there (not a Saab/Clarion one) and I intend to fit the Clarion changer in the same place in the '96. It puts it completely out of the way so it doesn't get damaged while carrying freezers, breeze blocks, large farm animals, etc...

I'm not aware of any special mounting positions. I did once see a photo of a protective metal housing that screwed to the floor of the boot at one side, holding the changer vertically. Supposedly it was a Saab part. My dealer denied all knowledge.

Not sure how you are proposing to mount it in the glovebox.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BillJ,
Thanks for the tip....was not too keen on exposing unit in the boot. Under side of the spare wheel lid is a sensible place, especially the Sony 6 CD unit which is quite slim. One of my options was to mount on a 9-12mm ply lining fixed to the glovebox base (maybe too restrictive on vent and space)

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I've put a 6 CD changer in my glovebox, and basically, you don't have to mount it, just drill a hole for the cable in the back and let it sit there. Most CD changers can be mounted at angles other than dead horizontal or vertical- there's an adjustment screw for the suspension to compensate for this. I only have problems with skipping when I hit a really big bump.

Another location you might like to consider is under either the passenger or driver seat.

Mark

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Another location you might like to consider is under either the passenger or driver seat.  [/b]
I have the Saab/Clarion unit mounted on the underside of the boot floor. This fine most of the time except when boot is full of junk and you want to change the CDs. The driver's seat already has the amp under it but under the passenger seat should be a good location.

The other trouble with putting the changer under the boot floor is that I tend to have the same CDs loaded for 3 or 4 weeks at a time because being out of site they are certainly out of mind and I keep forgetting to change them until I've set off to work the next morning.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Mine, ('98) and a number of other CSE's Iv'e seen have the CD Changer located in left hand recess of boot, behind wheel arch. No problem here, out of the way even with a full boot, and easily accessible. EXCEPT that rain will run off open boot lid (into speakers as usual) and onto CD Changer - which nackers the unit pretty quickly. So I keep it covered with plastic bin liner and no trouble yet! The unit sits vertically, and the securing screws fix into floor area. Not sure if there are captive nuts, but gues they just self tap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.