Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THANKS FOR THE INFO,ASLONG AS IT WONT DO ANY HARM I AM QUITE HAPPY TO DO IT,IT WILL ONLY TAKE 5 MINS TO PUT BACK ON FOR THE DREADED TEST.I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES, BY THE WAY, THE SILENCER FROM AN EARLIER MODEL FITS STRAIGHT ON AND IS A FREE FLOW BOX WITH NO RESTRICTIONS IN IT,

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Sounds good Piers (with Insurance considerations!)

You must update us once the job to let us know what mpg and mph (i.e. any noticable improvement in acceleration?) improvements you see.

Your exhaust not should sound a bit more like an Alpha's too!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Ahh.. in my view good-ish! Rather subjective question I suppose, but Apha's tend to give a nice sporty rasp - providing you want a nice sporty rasp! Nothing too loud though. Can't stand a drone which gives you a headache after 5 minutes.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sorry to be boring, but if you remove the cat won't you change the back pressure on the engine which could ultimately lead to the wrong fuel/air ratio and running hot(?) or at least not at what it should be.

Also if the police pull you up then you hav'nt got an MOT (as no cat will cause failure) and therefore an unroadworthy vehicle and therefore no insurance. They'll never know you say, but the police once looked to see if my Astra's had been removed, and if the car is on its side in a ditch ....

Just a thought but, would you really tell the difference on a CSE (superb car, my wife has one) or indeed most road cars

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Take a look at the Abbot Racing webb site page for Exhausts. Their performance CAT and also CAT replacement straight through pipe are claimed to increase BHP by approx 7 Bhp.

Also, a straight through tail pipe (I have a stainless one from CAT back) apparently gives 5BHP increase and an improved front pipe (which irons out a kink to improve gas flow) another 5BHP.

My CAT back stainless exhaust gave no noticale improvement in mpg or BHP, so I guess that most of the restriction is in the standard CAT.

Definately never heard (or can concieve) of any problems removing CAT (except MOT) as succinctly put by Zep, above!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
JFP,
I agree that back pressure will be reduced, helping the car to breath easy. But in my view the airflow meter and ECU will measure the correct fuel/air ratios accordingly. Thats the beauty of the ECU system.

Totally agree with the Police issue and invalidation of MOT, etc. That's why Abbot RAcing state 'For Track Days Only' on their advert for CAT bypass pipes!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PLEASE LET ME PUT YOU ALL STRAIGHT ON ONE THING, JUST BECAUSE YOUR CAR WOULD NOT PASS AN MOT IT DOES NOT INVALIDATE THE ONE YOU HAVE, IF YOU EXAMINE THE CERT YOU WILL SEE THAT IT MEANS YOUR CAR WAS GOOD ENOUGH TO PASS A TEST ON THAT DAY AND FOR THAT DAY ONLY BUT IT RUNS FOR A YEAR, GOING BY THE THEORY ABOVE IF ONE HAD A BULB OUT THEN THAT WOULD MEEN NO MOT AND ETC, THE OTHER MAIN ISSUE i WOULD LIKE TO CLEAR UP IS ::-- NO MOT DOES NOT MEAN NO INSURANCE, IT IS FAIR TO SAY THAT AN INSURANCE COMPANY WOULD NOT PAY OUT AS MUCH ON A CAR WITH NO TEST (WHICH THIS WOULD NOT BE) BUT IT CANNOT INVALIDATE YOUR INSURANCE BELIEVE ME I KNOW I WORK WITH THESE THINGS, WHERE YOU COULD FALL FOUL IS ON A MODIFICATION THAT IS NOT DECLARED BUT AS I SAID EARLIER THE CAT CAN BE REPLCED WITH THE STRAIGHT THROUGH SILENCER THAT SAAB FIT ,IT FITS EXACTLY WITH NO MODS AND TAKES 10 MINS TO CHANGE,IT WOULD TAKE AN EXPERT TO WORK IT OUT .APART FROM THAT WE ARE TALKING ALTERING THE EXHAUST NOT ROBBING A BANK HERE.I HAVE NOW BEEN RUNNING MINE WITHOUT A YOU KNOW WHAT FOR A WEEK OR TO, YES THE EXHAUST NOTE HAS CHANGED SLIGHTLY BUT NOT LOUD, THE FUEL CONSUMP IS THE SAME BUT THE POWERIS A LITTLE MORE,I SHALL KEEP THE ITEM IN A SAFE PLACE RETURNING IT TO THE VEHICLE WHEN TEST TIME LOOMS SO IM HAPPY AND I HOPE YOU ALL ARE TO, I WILL UPDATE IF THE SECRET POLICE COME ROUND AND SIEZE MY CAR ,THATS IF I DONT GET TEN YEARS FOR THE MODIFICATION!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I must apologise if I sounded ratty, I did not intend to do so. Its just that I get tired of people who think no mot means no insurance, I just got a bit carried away with my answer(SORRY)!!I would like to say, I reccomend you do the same, but that would have to be the choice of the individual I think,if you want anymore info then you are welcome to contact me on [email protected]

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
C'mon chaps, let us not get upset with one another. Lively debate? Yes! Falling out? No, it's not worth it.

Piers is correct in what he says and he does well to clarify the point for any who may not be aware. Others make good points on this forum too. Even I have been corrected on on the archaic rules of MoT testing this week! ;-)

Good to see the WD40 worked, Piers! ;-) Great stuff that, works on everything ...almost.

/john

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.