Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since coolant is pretty essential for the vast majority of car engines, why is there not a more prominent alarm should there be a problem?
For the fourth time in 30 years I have just suffered this with a punctured radiator (gritting lorry I think) and only realised quickly by chance. This was in my son's Daihatsu but same logic applies to any car.
On one occasion the head gasket had to be replaced (££££), the other three times I have been lucky. (Once on the M4 a top hose went (Subaru) but I was right at a service station exit and managed to repair the hose).
The point I am making is that you don't drive with your eyes fixed on the temp. gauge and all sorts of things can happen before that awful smell and even more awful seizing of the engine happens.
Some cars have their water pump mounted low down and this means some water does get splashed around even when a lot of it has gone (this is what saved the Subaru). If the pump is high up then even a 25% water loss means no water is pumped.
So why not an audble or flashing alarm? Needless to say, many of my cars have been older and so more prone to such problems.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
there you are you see, if you had been driving a Saab 9000 , instead of inferior breeds , a message would have flashed up on your dashboard , insisting that you check radiator and it takes only a small loss to activate it,saved my engine

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.