Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much difference would the removal of the sports cat make to the performance of the JT exhaust system? Would I need to refit in order to pass the MOT?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
The MOT bit is a gamble - my understanding is that is does not legally need to be there BUT your car will need to achieve the appropriate readings on emmisions for cat'd cars - not immpossible if your car is in good order tune wise.I would assume some gain could be had as less restriction but as a sports cat would assume quite good as passing exhaust gasses. My intention is to remove the standard cat when I fit a JT 3" front pipe and run de-cat'd.
Whilst on this subject Saab dealer told me Friday that there is no gasket between the turbo and the front pipe - Is this correct?

Mike

·
Registered
62 Posts
there is no gasket between the turbo and downpipe on my 96 900. other models im not sure about. from my understanding 1996 and up saabs have 2 o2 sensors for the cat...one before and one after. the one after is goin to give you problems if you try to put a straight pipe where your cat is. the best thing to do is get a 3 inch cat. around $140 from summit.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Whilst on this subject Saab dealer told me Friday that there is no gasket between the turbo and the front pipe - Is this correct?

On 91 and 92 2.3T there is a very thin soft metal gasket with a raised section all the way round which compresses and gives the seal, although most people just use some fire cement instead.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
 Whilst on this subject Saab dealer told me Friday that there is no gasket between the turbo and the front pipe - Is this correct  [/b]
Thnks Guys - is it the same for the 9000 as I'd swear I had to replace one on that - must be getting old.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts