Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one got any info on the pro and cons of haveing a cat or not yer not [expletive deleted] cat
and what would i gain if i binned the cat

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
As you've got an Aero, the only drawback is the fact that ditching the [expletive deleted] means it won't pass an MOT, so you would have to go through the hassle of swopping back and forth once a year. Less hassle if you've got an early Aero with the seperate cat but a pain if you've got a later one with the combined downpipe and cat.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi
yer mot not a broblem and yes my aero is a 97 with the cat at the front so if i put a jt down pipe to go with the jt60 sys ive already got and a cat by pass pipe i suffer the stress but what will i gain

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi,

as it is my planet as well, I strongly object to you removing your cat It is there for a reason!

If you want to gain hp without polluting the atmosphere, buy a race cat. They are not that expensive - got mine practically for free with the 3" exhaust!

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yer good point but a cat dont work until it gets hot 20mins or so by then most car drivers with a cat are at work then thers the cars with cats that are no good which pollute all the time how maney times u smelt that foul strong eggy smell any way me woz thinking of loseing it me just finding out what i gain

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Can you use some kind of punctuation and such in your posts, please? They are kind of a pain to read.

Also, I think you should go ahead and get at least a race cat. They probably don't make enough difference in the end to matter power wise, but they do help with what they are designed to do. And I seriously doubt they take 20 minutes to warm up. My downpipe gets too hot to touch after just a few seconds idling. That means that it can't take much driving to get the cat hot enough to work.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I thought that a cat had to be at at least 700°C to work, wich mean being right red. I think that 20 minuts are too much, but for sure 3 minuts of calm city driving aren't enough.

I read somewhere that Ford had to program the ECU of the Focus RS sold in Canada to keep the idle at 1500rpm until the engine wasn't warm enough, or for a period of time to allow the cat to warm anyway. The magazine I was reading told that it took almost 10 min to the car to slow down the idle, when starting from cold

1 - 8 of 8 Posts