Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How easy is it to remove the cat from a 3" JT exhaust so that it can be refitted at MOT time and where would I get a 3" straight pipe to replace it?
I'm looking to eke out a little extra power ( after the new clutch is fitted next week) without a major upgrade.
If I did this how much extra noise would it generate, would it affect fuel consumption and how much extra power is it likely to yield?
Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
The JT Cat bypass pipe is a sleeve fit so would be a fiddle to change each time when compared to a flanged/bolted affair.
I'm running the full JT 3" at the moment without the cat and for normal driving I'd say its a little too noisy, especially on long trips. This is only an issue when cruising at say 60/70 in 5th when you go so accelerate there is quite a load/throaty drone. -With the old exhaust there wasnt much of an increase in noise at all. (and passengers didnt realise you were nailing it!) Off boost, it's quite quiet though.
Generally it's a very subjective subject as it's still way quieter than the average large exhaust scooby, but it's nice to keep that element of long range cruiser to Aero where possible and I think the addition of a free flow cat will be just about right to tone it down a little.
Note: When pressing on, it's a different story and the car sounds great.
MPG currently sitting at 34mpg - with stage 3. Same commute with Stage 1 and std exhaust was 31mpg so exhaust has made a difference and I reckon the cat will shave a little off that.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, so if no cat gives me the most power but is verging on being a little too noisy, the other option is changing the sport cat for a race cat. Is this going to give any noticeable improvement or should I just get some ear plugs?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I run a JT front pipe - no CAT - into a couple of standard rear boxes - I thought the JT was noiser when fitted but after a few weeks it does not seem noisy at all - I have run it now for a year and come MOT time I have switched back for the standard front pipe and CAT - takes about and an hour to change. I now need to change it back and have taken the opportunity to give the front pipe a clean up whilst it was off. Not sure if the 9000 is any more akward to remove at the front but on the 900 the three turbo nuts, one clamp and a bracket up the front.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts