Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got round to fitting the cat bypass to the Carly today (combined it with a plug and oil change).

1st impression is that their is not much bottom end change although there is a louder note to the exhaust.

The boost seems to spin up maybe a bit quicker and enters the red further than before and then falling back to normal.

What has changed is the boost seems to stay longer further up the rev range giving a usable addition to the
factor.

The plugs look good for 27000 miles

I also finally got my headlight bulbs clips. I never knew that the 2 sides of the clip were different shapes.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add, the cat that came off lookes quite nice, you could still se through it at 162500 miles.
Only down side is one of the 4 mounting bolt holes has snapped out.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where did you get the bypass, and how much if you dont mind me asking?  [/b]
£27.11 + vat and postage off the Elkparts site.

Took the motor out for another run last night (just on freezing).

It's defineatly peppier at the top end, and just a little noisier.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by r_renfield:
[qb]I don't think the cheaper one is stainless?    [/qb][/b]
But when that one rusts away, you could replace it another 3 times and still have saved £2 + VAT by not buying the Abbott one.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Fitted TWO CAT bypass pipes to my old Carlton GSI 3000 24V.

Made bugger all difference to the noise or the power!.

But at least you help stop the exhaust from rusting from the inside, as one of the by-products of a CAT is water!!!

Skiddins

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm just trying to cheaply get as much power, handling and fuewl comsumption as possible withoug spending loads on the Carly.

Hence poly bushes and cat removal.

I also run bald tyres for better grip

at 27+v I couldn't resist, and it gives me a working spare for the other 3 2.3 9000 catted cars I look after.

Andrew

·
Registered
722 Posts
Andrew that is the same as me - poly bushes ordered, cat bypass will sonn be. I dont (havent got) hundreds to spend, so I'm looking for efficient ways to upgrade.
Has anyone else done a cat bypass?Feedback?

Also, scaero, you have a carly and aero? (It says this on profile anyway.)
Give some comparisons?Performance?Handling?etc?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Yup, Paul I'm bypassed...

Have been on 3 different specification turbos on my current 9000 plus another on my last.

Same result for all though, quicker spool up time= better response and louder, deeper exhaust note accompanied by occaisonal popping on overrun.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've got to say that when I fitted the cat to my JT system for the MOT I noticed a very clear difference at the top end in that it felt less lively and boost was significanly less. Perhaps the cat does not feel restrictive on the standard exhaust because of the more restrictive design of the standard exhaust system over the JT...

Alanb

1 - 14 of 14 Posts