Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
to all any body used castrol formula rs?. my aero 9000 has always had full synthetic oil looking at the history. since this is the first service since ive had the car iam after info on this oil. my other saabs ive always used semi . the rs castrol is a 0W-40

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I haven't used it myself, but the viscosity rating is the same as Mobil 1 (my personal choice). I wouldn't put anything other than a fully synthetic oil in a full pressure turbo. Like Mobil 1, Castrol RS is synthetic so OK.

If you use the search facility, there's lots of threads that have discussed Castrol RS before.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ONLY THING THAT I CARNT GET ME HEAD AROUND LOTS OF PEOPLE SAYING ITS TO THIN? AND THAT IT WILL LEAD TO TURBO FAILER? ANY IDEARS .

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
The question you need to ask yourself is exactly why you wish to use a different oil when Saab uses Mobil1 and that does the job?

·
Registered
382 Posts
lizard, i spent many hours trying to find the best oil for my car. there are many different opinions, regarding which grade of oil to use. i think the confusion comes, when different car makes come into the question. i think you will find, that for saab cars, due to differences in the engine, that thinner oils are right for them. dont be tempted to use the same oil as someone with a subaru, for example, i believe they need thicker oil than your saab does. mark is right when he says, stick to fully synthetic oil 0w-40 or 5w-40 change it every 6-8000 miles, and should have no problems. i use mobil 1 0w-40 in my car.

·
Registered
288 Posts
When choosin oil, one should pay attention to oil addons, fillers aso. These are the items that can play a trik on your engine. I would stick with the additives saab has mentioned.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANKS GUYS
LOOKS LIKE THE CASTROL RS IS GOING BACK. I ONLY GOT IT BECOS THAY WEAR OUT OF STOCK OF MOBIL1. I GO TO HALFORDS TO SEE IF THER GOT ANY MOBIL1 THANKS AGAIN

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JUST BEING TO 2 HALFORDS AND IT JUST REMINDED ME WHY I NEVER USE THEM. NO PUGS 4 MY SAAB NO MOBIL1 OIL ONLY IN SMALL BOTTLES DAY NEARLY GONE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts